Sign in to follow this  

KX 100 Hard to Start

I bought a 1997 KX 100 last night which has had the Engine recently rebuilt with all new bearings and seals, Front forks resealed and rebushed, Rear shock rebuilt, New swinging arm bearings, New wheel bearings, Recent Tyres and a New seat cover side panels and rear mudguard

I took it out this morning for a little while. It started ffne first thing with the choke. The problem is that when he stops it suddenly stalls unless he keeps revving it. When it stalls it is really hard to start again. I spent about 20 minutes trying to start it again. I just gave up as it wouldn't start!

I only have wellies (I need to get some motocross) boots which make my feet really sore when trying to kick start it. Is there a special technique to kick starting? I don't think it is me not kick starting it properly as I started it fine first thing!

Is there something wrong with the bike or is that just 2 strokes for you? (This is my first one)

Thanks,

If someone could reply soon that would be great as I want to try and get it working today so I can have a proper ride!

Update

I have been trying all day to get it to start. I still can't start it.

I tried to clean out the carb but I couldn't as one of the screws on the basin on the YZ 85 Carb (which it came fitted with) has been really tightened and I can't get it undone. The screw is starting to round off so me or my dad can't get any grip on it never mind enough force.

I would try the standard carb but he used the standard float and jets in the YZ Carb which I can't obviously get at because of the screw.

The spark plug still has a spark and when I take it out it has a little bit of fuel/oil on the end which goes into the bike.

I actually started it once but because I had adjusted the idle screw too high it was revving really high so I quickly turned it off. I couldn't get it too start again.

Any ideas what the problem is as I am getting quite frustrated with my first time with a 2 Stroke?!

Sounds like the pilot jet or pilot circuit is clogged. You need to remove the float bowl to get to the jet. Try grasping the sides of the screw with GOOD pliers like Knipex. When you remove the screw, replace them with allen-type screws.

1255983881929__KnipexToolsL_Revised10250mmCob_PTEN_0.png

Thanks for that. I'll give that a try tomorrow and let you know what happens.

I have got a guy who knows his bikes very well to come and look at my bike. He did a bit of work for my dad on Rally Karts.

He says that the compression is wrong and that it will need quite a few parts which are fairly expensive then there is labour to add on. He think it needs a new Piston and Ring kit, Gasket Set, Main bearings and seals, Kick Start Racher and the cylinder will need to be refurbished.

This is going to cost approximately £400!

I would take it back to the person you bought it from and get a refund. Have him try to start it. Did he start it when you bought it?

I would take it back to the person you bought it from and get a refund. Have him try to start it. Did he start it when you bought it?

Yes he started it up on the 3rd kick with choke.

My Son's KX100 starts right up on the first kick with the stock carb. When you get the float bowl off the Yamaha carb I would put the stock carb back on. Check all the jets to make sure they have the original jet sizes especially the pilot jet. Someone could have changed some jets around which could be the problem.