Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust valve clearance help

Hey all this is my first post.

Firt time checking the valve clearance for my crf250r (05) it just had a top end rebuild before i bought it. intanke valves are bang on. i need a little help with the exhaust valve. from one angle i can get a .0016 with a fair ammount of drag (measuring the left exhaust valve from the right side) and from the angle show in my service manual i can only get .0012 (measuring the left exhaust valve from the left) with a fair ammount of drag. I am not sure if measuring it from the left is just tighter because the head case is higher then the valve as my feeler guages are straight ones and not bent. The valve should be at .0011 +/- .0001

does .0016 seem excessive? as i have had no problems with the bike at all other then a bog issue off idle im hoping to improve with a quickshot. My question is, is their something wrong with my method of measuring? I have made sure the cams are facing backwards and the punchmarks on the chain are level and i was able to get accurate reading of the intake valves so the positioning must be right.

Do i also need to measure the right exhaust valve as im a little confused with the difference between the 450r and the 250r

Also i am able to wiggle the arm above the exhaust valve up and down very very slightly is this normal?

Thanks in advance ur help is really appreciated

.016 is excessive. I really don't understand how you're getting 2 different readings from left to right. The rocker arm will move slightly. If you're able to get a .016 in on one side and .012 on the other, I'm wondering if you're forcing in the .016. I've done a couple where they were off because of this. If you had the rocker arm off, you're able to push the valve open slighty with your finger. If you force a piece of metal in there at .016, it's a lot easier to get it in than a .004. feeler gauge. If I were you, I'd install a larger shim on the ehaust side and start between .002 and .006 and work your way up from there. This way your less likely to push the valve open with a thinner feeler gauge. Safely, you can set the exhaust valves around .008 for optimum performance and a quieter valve train.

Before you change to a QS2, pull your float bowl off and replace the leak jet to a 40. It's located in the float bowl and it's much smaller than a mian or a pilot jet. It has a flat screwdriver slot and is about 3/8" long with a number on it probably around 70 or 80. This may be what's causing your bog. Not sure if the 05 required that AP mod, but if so, that can also attribute to the bog. Moto_X2005 will know for sure if you have to mod the AP linkage. I'm positive he'll chime in and let you know. He always reads my responces to see if I screwed up which I do most of the time!

the valve should be .011 not .0011. big difference

The feeler gauge would be see through! I'm sure it's just a typing error. Look at some of the spelling on this forum...

and thats why we use the metric system in australia 👍

yer this is my first time using feeler guages and checking valves so im not sure how much drag is forcing it in. i will change the leak jet to a 40 aswel

thanks for your help so far

btw the bike is completly stock which is why i assumed the jetting would be correct and havnt thought to change it.

even better to run .008 on the exhausts.. even tho .011 is spec it is excessive as well for whats needed..