Sign in to follow this  

Replacing Rings

A shop will probably charge you 2 hours @ around $90/hr = $180

Gaskets $35

Rings $40

Total around $250 would be fair for rings only. They may recommend a new piston (OEM $100).

I understand not everyone wants to wrench on their bike, but it's pretty simple if you have a torque wrench and a manual.

For the price of the ring job you could replace the piston, rings and gaskets yourself cheaper.

It is realy simple to do if you have the manual like said before.

If you don't want to wrench yourself I would suggest to do the piston as well if you are paying them to tear it down. But really it is your decision. I agree +/- $250 would be a fair price.

One up for doing it yourself. I never thought id tear into my 4-stroke coming from my cr125, but its really straightforward, just dont get too stoned and youll be good! Id also agree with CRF-idaho that you should put a new piston in if your already paying for some one to be in there, an extra 84 or something.

One up for doing it yourself. I never thought id tear into my 4-stroke coming from my cr125, but its really straightforward, just dont get too stoned and youll be good! Id also agree with CRF-idaho that you should put a new piston in if your already paying for some one to be in there, an extra 84 or something.

Oh yeah, I guess I forgot to mention that, pick a time when you’re not high or drunk. A few beers will probably be okay but try to avoid hallucinogens while working on your bike as a “best practice”.