Sign in to follow this  

Carb vs FI differences - smoother? Range/Economy?

Looks like I'll have difficulty getting a big tank on a FI so wondered what people think of the EFI vs carb models for the 610.

Is the EFI smoother? - better economy? Better starting? Better at altitude? More reliable?

I am very comfortable with the Keihen FCR Carb- and yet I purchased a 09TE450 with FI last year. FI on a single cylinder motor that has high demands and variations to deal with and is NOT like a car or inline 4 motorcycle. I think you can make a carb'd bike as smooth as efficient as efi and vice versa- but its a different. You have to tune a EFI system and just like you would a carb but your fingers stay dry and it takes 5 minutes to make a change. Fuel consumption is misunderstood- EFI is not going to stretch your mileage any if you have the bike "tunes for power" but you can have it "tuned for fuel mileage" or find a medium. Or you can purchase a Power Commander V and pick a map: set it up with an economy map and a power map- switch of a button.

Fuel is delivered in a carb by vacuum and gravity- fuel is delivered in an EFI system by mechanical parts and electricity: which is ultimately more reliable? That said- I have never been left in the woods after 1500 miles. There is give and take and a little faith.

Nice simple explination DRZ. I think many have expected heaps of extra power and mpg's etc from efi. That said I think the Mikuni set up we currently use is not best of breed within the industry,

As far as running and performance, FI kicks a carbs a**, hands down. But... you have added complexity, electronics that sometimes cannot be fixed trail side with a rock.

Carbs are near their peak in development, FI as applied to most dirt bikes is at it's infancy and has a long ways to grow, even with tech available today but not used. Expect the tech to trickle in each model year from here on out.

One advantage right now is throttle body sizing can be bigger allowing more power, with a carb you get too big and lose the ability to pull fuel up through the nozzle effectively.

When FI goes fly by wire throttle, servo controlled. All kinds of new doors open. One door is cam profile. It'll allow cams that otherwise would provide flat areas and less than desirable peaks in the power to be "smoothed" out by speeding up and slowing down the servo controlled throttle opening rate. Engine can be more powerful but still have a good rideable power curve. As this tech evolves and computer control over the engine control become faster even the stepper motors used to control the servo wont keep up. Right now hydraulic control is being used (it responds faster) in today most developed FI control.

Agree with the above posts though, today's FI on dirt bikes is no HUGE breakthrough. At this point it's got compromises just like carbs. I'd even bet if someone sold a FCR conversion kit for some bikes, their be a market for it down the road.

I'm not sure but I bet all the soft ware programmers say it is better 👍