Sign in to follow this  

06 CRF450 Hard starting

I have an 06 CRF450 that is hard starting. I can start the bike 1st or second kick but after I turn off it is hard to start again. I recently changed the water pump seal, oil seal, shaft, bearing, and the cam chain, n tensioner. The flywheel was stuck on pretty good but eventually came off with the puller. It had a very small amount of rust on it and the stator looked fine. I looked at the plug and it was a little sooty so I went from a 9 to an 8 stock NGK, both of which had spark. I have checked the carb all jets and fuel lines and they are clear. I have checked the valves intake, exhaust, and the decompression lever all are in specs. I noticed when I first started the bike after the replacment of the cam chain that it started right up but normally when the choke is on the idle goes up and I push it in the bike will idle. This time it didn't the idle fell off and I had to give it gas. The bike symtoms are those of leaking valves, hard start, having to raise the idle, and give it a little gas when kicking. I have ordered a new set of rings and new exhaust gasket in hopes of this fixing the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Help?

man only thing i can think of is to check the accelerator pump on the bottom of the carb theres a rubber diaphram in there. they can get cracked and this would cause you to have to gas it to start. i would check this before you start taking the engine apart. look it over real good and be sure not to lose the spring in there. hope this helps.