Sign in to follow this  

Tickets for OHV tires?

I'm SoCal new to dual sport rides. Has anyone been pulled over and ticketed for non DOT tires?

I've heard,at least in AZ. that the DOT thing only applies to cycles that are over 400 lbs.

Check into that (although i might have heard bs)

OHV tires are not DOT approved for street use in California. That said, I have dual sported on OHV tires for over 20 years without any issues from law enforcement. Mostly they just check for proper license and lighting requirements. My bike has even been used for taking the driving test at the DMV without issue.

OHV tires are not DOT approved for street use in California. That said, I have dual sported on OHV tires for over 20 years without any issues from law enforcement. Mostly they just check for proper license and lighting requirements. My bike has even been used for taking the driving test at the DMV without issue.

Now you've done it. You've spoiled your luck. Next time you're out they'll check. It's one of Murphy's Laws, isn't it?

Better go find some wood to knock on or eat some garlic or something, quick. 👍

I have heard of particular park rangers getting all anal about every little thing including DOT tires. That is kind of typical of some people who are new to law enforcement - especially where it is not their primary duty or profession and they have little training and experience. I encountered this in the USCG - there was always a few people who saw this as their chance to get all 'you *will* respect my authority' on someone - i.e., a power trip.

Typically most LEO orgs try to screen out such people, but that doesn't happen in orgs where their primary purpose is not LE.

That said, I have never been stopped by any LEO where they went over any equipment on any of my bikes. It was always something else, whether it was the speed, a sticker on my helmet they didn't like (yes, I was once stopped because a LEO didn't like a "capable of evading high speed pursuit" sticker) or to check that I had an endorsement which lately has been something LEOs are finding any excuse to check in my locale.

But never whether my knobby was DOT rated or not - even though it isn't ("not for highway use" right on it). I have heard some people say a little work with a Dremel tool and a wire wheel will take that right off - eh, my next tire, a Pirelli MT43 is DOT rated anyway.