Sign in to follow this  

A different kind of enclosed trailer - questions

First off, I'm not selling this. It's not mine, I saw the ad and I've got a few questions.

http://york.craigslist.org/mcy/1689178540.html

To anyone who has a trailer like this, can you tell me more about it?

2,000lb trailer, looks like almost half of that is tare, am I right?

How many full-sized bikes can you cram in it?

Dual axles on such a light trailer, wouldn't make that really hard to turn a low speed for no good reason? Or is there a reason?

What do you think of it?

How much of a gas mileage hit do you take from this? Is that with a cap or without?

I'm not looking to buy one, at least not right now, but since I've never seen one like this, I figured I'd ask.

Did I mention this isn't my ad? I'm not selling anything, just wanted to make that clear.

Thanks.

That style of trailer needs duals b/c they are so small. The idea is to eliminate the fender humps indide so you can use all of the trailer. It looks like a bigger version of a clamshell trailer that just doesnt open up.

Since the wheels are small, you would be ok turning, its the bigger dia wheels that make it harder, these are like gokart or Golf cart wheels. The width being somewhat narrow helps too.

As for Gas mileage, The sloped front should help when pulled by a pickup truck, it helps spill the wind over the top. With a van or cap however you lose the advantage.

It looks like he has E track on the floor and with 102" widthe, it you staggered the bikes (one facing forward, one back, one forward, one back) you could probably cram 4 bikes across. Measure out 102" on the floor and see how wide it is, its 8-1/2 feet!

The front door is a nice touch for cramming gear up front. I'm not in the market but it looks nice. We bought a 14' x 7" high top enclosed with one axle a couple of years ago new for $4400. This is a little more complex, more usable space but used.

I have found that a trailer's aerodynamics is a stronger predictor of fuel consumption than it's weight.

That trailer is designed for snowmobiles. At 8.5 feet wide and the "boxy" nature of the design, I would think it would tow like a sail. For $3700, I would think one could get a very nice V nosed enclosed trailer (with a side door) that would be easier to sell, modify, maintain (brakes and tires), and would tow better (not hitting the mirrors of on-coming traffic or scraping the hillside on those mountain roads).

Just my 2 cents.

Like mentioned above....it is a sled trailer.... with a box on top. Sled trailers like that are always "deck over axle" - giving you the ability to fit two sleds on it.

There's no hard and fast rule as to how much of a mileage hit a given trailer will cause.

THere are a thousand variables involved, but maybe 3-4 MPG? depends on the truck, the motor in the truck, how hard you drive it, tire pressure. 2wd or 4wd....

Ok, thanks all, it does resemble a sled trailer, but all the ones I've seen like that are always just tall enough for a toddler to walk in, unless you crack open the lid. Then, it's tall enough for a midget.

The reason I was asking about the gas mileage hit, vs. an open trailer, won't make much of a difference since it would be towed by something other than a pick up truck w/o a cap. And from what you all have said, that seems to be the only rig that would benefit from it's shape, save for a Dodge Magnum or similar station wagon.

The deck over axle makes sense, I did nearly the same thing with my current trailer. I probably could have skipped putting the 2" tall fenders on, but did just to be sure I have enough clearance if I hit a big bump. I don't wanna have a wheel come through the deck. If the wheel comes through 10 gauge steel, I've got some big problems.

The one thing I think was missed, but I still managed to get the info, is the weight of the trailer. I was referring to how much it can hold, having no bearing on fuel mileage. Once it's moving at highway speed the weight has no bearing on fuel economy unless you start driving against gravity. See the myth busters golf ball car experiment. But the reason I was asking is because it just seemed kinda light in the loafers for something with dual axles, but since the dual axles is so it can run those skate board wheels, that makes sense and the skate board wheels can't handle 3,500 lbs or even 7,000 lbs like a "normal" dual axle trailer would.

Thanks everybody.