Sign in to follow this  

The GPS question.

Yes I searched and if it's there I missed it. Sorry.

So I'm off to Deals Gap in may for a 2-stroke rally but I'm bringing the DR along for a change of pace from all the 2-stroke pavement pounding. Been doing it for 7 years now and there are just too many cool gravel back roads up there to ingnore any longer.

So here's the question. I want to hook up a GPS unit on the DR to help me find my way around the area. Some skyway roads, a few national parks etc.. I don't really have a lot of need for using it as a handheld. It will be dedicated (primarily) to the bike exposed to the weather and all that entails. What are you guys actually using and how do you like it. If you're not crazy about what you've got then why? What would you have preffered?

Yes I'm a noob to this and I understand the scale of the question. I trust the general knowledge of this board as a good starting point however if this is a waaay too in depth question what are the go-to sites to get a noob like me started.

Any and all advice VERY much appreciated.

I have the Tomtom rider 2, it's nice, the dealer hardwired it for me. It stays on the bike. I'm not sure how to plan a trip with it. I can set a destination, and it will get me there, but I can't choose which roads I want to take.

Hope that helps some.

I personally use and like the Garmin 60Cx. It is a handheld but can be mounted and powered off the bike battery if desired. This is one of the the most technical and flexible units on the market and is widely used. I does require a mount and detailed maps in addition to the unit.

If you are looking for a box with everything you need inside, check out the Garmin Zumo units. Simpler, less flexible but works well on MC and in Car.

Garmin is the 8,000lb elephant when it come to consumer GPS.

Bruce

P.S. ADVRider forum has a very good MC based GPS forum.

I've had a Garmin 276C for a long time. Usually, I use it on my 1150GS, but also fit it on my DR650. I use RAM mounts and have it hardwired into the bike (the unused circuit by the headlight). It is waterproof and has held up well to some rough riding. This picture also shows a XM radio, but I only used that once and took it off. I like having the GPS, depending on where I am going.

157027466_cuRGv-M.jpg

I personally use and like the Garmin 60Cx. It is a handheld but can be mounted and powered off the bike battery if desired. This is one of the the most technical and flexible units on the market and is widely used. I does require a mount and detailed maps in addition to the unit.

If you are looking for a box with everything you need inside, check out the Garmin Zumo units. Simpler, less flexible but works well on MC and in Car.

Garmin is the 8,000lb elephant when it come to consumer GPS.

Bruce

P.S. ADVRider forum has a very good MC based GPS forum.

I was looking over on the ADV site and as huge as it is I figured I'd check over here with the thumper folks where it's a little less intense. The 60Cx is actually one of the first units is stumbled across. Seems to be popular for the money and have good bang forthe $$. I have no problem with downloading maps as I need them. How do you go about it? Is it expensive?

sorry, I'm a TOTAL noob..

I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 550 hooked up to the bike with a Garmin cable that regulates the voltage, which is also sold with a cradle that goes into a Ram Mount.

The 550 is water / Vibration proof. I draw motorcycle routes in MapSource which is a free download onto your computer once you register the product.

I save the route as a GPX file, upload it through MapSource in my GPS and I'm good to go, and contrary to what others may say, the unit WILL NOT recalculate the route to something else unless you miss a turn in which case it will redirect you back onto your route.

I'm not entirely sure if the unit does offraod tracks but it does have a backtrack feature if you ever need to get out of the woods.. I think you can also save the track that was recorded for future use.

It does not have bluetooth but I don't want to listen to music, telephone or voice prompts when riding. You can't go wrong with this unit. 👍

I've had a Garmin 276C for a long time. Usually, I use it on my 1150GS, but also fit it on my DR650. I use RAM mounts and have it hardwired into the bike (the unused circuit by the headlight). It is waterproof and has held up well to some rough riding. This picture also shows a XM radio, but I only used that once and took it off. I like having the GPS, depending on where I am going.

157027466_cuRGv-M.jpg

Fatchance, quick question about the XM, do you have a wireless headset, or does it connect with a wired headset? I'm interested in something like this.

Thanks

Fatchance, quick question about the XM, do you have a wireless headset, or does it connect with a wired headset? I'm interested in something like this.

Thanks

I don't use that any more, but I do use an mp3 player on both bikes. For either music player, I use wired in-ear speakers because I like the sound isolation and can have the volume a lot lower while riding than speakers in my helmet. I have both Shure E2c and Skull Candy Ink'd headphones and am happy with both.

I don't use that any more, but I do use an mp3 player on both bikes. For either music player, I use wired in-ear speakers because I like the sound isolation and can have the volume a lot lower while riding than speakers in my helmet. I have both Shure E2c and Skull Candy Ink'd headphones and am happy with both.

Thanks, I'll check those out. I'm getting tired of my earbuds falling out.

I am in the same boat as you as far as fonding a GPS tracker. I talk to the guy as these shops that sell them and they really dont know much about them as I am trying to find one to use as a bread crumb trail to find my way back. Until I find one my GPS with still be a map, compass and three point of reference and even if the satellites go down my GPS will still work.

I have a Garmin 60csx with Topo USA and City Navigator. I use it on my trail bike while scouting, on my DR while commuting, on my sport bike while touring and while on foot hiking, marking a kill or a good hunting spot. I can't say enough good things about it. I have it hot wired to the bikes for constant back lighting. Heck this GPS even picks up satellites while in my house!

I have no problem with downloading maps as I need them. How do you go about it? Is it expensive?

sorry, I'm a TOTAL noob..

You can buy the map sets from Garmin, from a 3rd party or download free maps. The old adage "you get what you pay for" come into play. And you need to decide what type of maps are important to you. Topo for geographic places or road maps for man made stuff. Some are auto routing, others not. I usually have 3 map sets (all Garmin) loaded for US destinations and am continually switching between them. Not necessary, just the way I roll. Not all units will support loading different maps or provide full functionality with them. I prefer to buy on CD/DVD if available.

As to cost; Know and understand how many units a map can be installed on. Many can only be installed to a single unit, others allow unlimited installs. This is important mostly if you own more than one GPS or tend to upgrade your toys often. The bulk of map sets run $90-$125. And don't expect a GPS with a 3 square inch screen to replace paper maps and common sense.

Bruce

I run the Zumo 550 and love it. I have not learned how to use all the features yet but the bluetooth has been nice since I can see when someone is calling while riding. I could stuff a bluetooth earbud under the helmet and talk while riding but that would ruin my riding so I don't. hehe

Here is my setup on the DR. I installed the same base on my Grizzly 550 and swap it back and forth.

DSC00614.JPG

On the Grizzly:

DSC01141.JPG

DSC01142.JPG

Drawback to the Zumo is price but imho it's well built and can take a beating in the woods.👍

Gary

I have a Nuvi 550 that works well for paved roads. It will even show up some dirt roads in places where they have been there forever.

Just yesterday I ordered a Garmin 76Csx to use on the DR. I chose it over the 60 model because the screen is just a hair bigger (every little bit helps), the antenna is internal (can't get snagged on the brake line), and because it reportedly stays more securely in its cradle.

A hard wire is available for it. I ordered the version that plugs into a standard 12v auto accessory plug as I'll be installing one of those on the bike.

Just ordered the garmin GPSMAP 60CSX. Glad to hear it works for the bike, I was looking at the eTrec but I had to order the waterproof unit for a little canoe race in alaska (Yukon 1000). Should be a good test for it/me

Just ordered the garmin GPSMAP 60CSX. Glad to hear it works for the bike, I was looking at the eTrec but I had to order the waterproof unit for a little canoe race in alaska (Yukon 1000). Should be a good test for it/me

Yep! Works great. I use it for all navigation. It's a tough little bastard too. I took a bad spill on my DRZ400 off road playing Evil Kenievil a while back. Crashed so hard can't racall exactly what happended but my 60CSX survived without any issues. I definately won't try that crap on my DR650 or any other dual sport bike again.

I'm a little late on this, but I've been using a Delorme PN-40 and it rocks.

The screen isn't as big as some of the Garmin units, but it's very clear and easily read when mounted to the bars. It autoroutes just fine. I got mine on sale for $200.

The best thing is the fact that the maps are included with the unit, the maps are street/topo hybrids and the trails are routable just like the streets. You can also import/export Google Earth .kmz files.

It's killer when you're in the woods and low on gas, just tell the unit to locate nearby gas stations, pick one from the list and tell it you want to drive to it. It'll take you down the trail, to the street and to the station.

You also get to download satellite and aerial images that the unit can display with the topo information overlaid, this gives you a really good idea of what the surrounding terrain is.

The PN-60 also has the SPOT messenger built in with the ability to send short text messages via satellite.

for off road the garmin 60csx is very good. it dose bread crums, routes, and will hold 500 miles trac and still not be full great unit

Here is a thread that I started here. i posted how to get free high quality topo maps that have labeled roads. Take a look it wil answer a lot of your questions.

Go with the Garmin Vista Hcx same exact unit as the 60Csx just has a few less buttons but has the same exact features and program functions but it is a lot cheaper. If you research it you will find it has a better GPS antenna than the 60Csx as well.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=891089&highlight=gps+topo+maps