Should I go 525

I have never owned a KTM.. and never really wanted to..... and then after always looking at the other guys on them I cracked and had a blast on my mates one. The smile on my face after being on his 400 compared to my XR4 was incredible (bar the seat:bonk:) jeez its a 400 . So popped along to my local dealer but no 400s, hes getting in a 525 soon and said it would suit me better (He does know the riding I do, it wasnt just sales pitch). The fact is where I live if I dont use a van to transport, I can ride up to 50 miles before hitting the dirt on the XR. Now I hear the 525 can sit in top gear pretty leisurly at 60 mph.. even more?? That sounds good to me.

And I also hear the valves are not a massive problem and most rekon a yearly check will be suffice?? Sounds similarish to the XR really.

Also the engine is as reliable as any other similar jap machine as long as oil changes is done regular which can be 500/600 miles in distance... not so bad either as I tend to do the XR every 600 miles but do have slack times and leave it until 1000.

Is it scary bike or not and should I go for it, thoughts from the forum:worthy:

I have a 2007 525 EXC and these bikes are awesome Dual SPort bikes. I can cruise on the highway at 65-70 with not much drama. The bike feels good and not to vibey until 70 and beyond.

The one small draw back,the oil capacity is only 1.2 litres, so if you do a bunch of freeway/street work, keep and eye on the oil level. I added a HT oil cooler to mine and that added .6 litre capacity, so now I am up to 1.8 litres of oil and i ride it and don't worry too much about the oil anymore.

Keep and eye on the valves (easy to adjust) and have a good time! I ride mine exclusively now for Dual SPorting and fun rides, hasn't missed a beat. RFS motors are dead reliable and there are so many people who rebuild them. You can keep this bike in top shape for many years to come.

I wouldn't call it scary, but the 525 MAKES BIG power and is a hoot to ride. You certainly won't get left behind on a 525 and hills are a thing of the past, 525 eats hill climbs.

• 1 month later...

I got a 07 525EXC 6 months ago and am loving it. Get it, jet it and gear it to your needs and you will love it. I have mine geared down with 13-48 gearing and it rides fine at 65 and I hit 98 last weekend with it too, great fun.

Ed

• 1 month later...

After a long weekend on my DRZ 400, I'm convinced a KTM 530 is the way to go. Superior dual sport (considering all others) bike. I'm in Europe on vacation this week and will be selling the DRZ as soon as I'm back, and starting the search for the new KTM. In the dual sport catagory, it wins in terms of power, engine, weight, suspension. At least for me anyway.

Per the KTM owners above, it sounds like if you take care of the KTM, you'll have a great bike.

Good Luck.....

• 1 month later...