Sign in to follow this  

Why the DRZ400???

Hey guys and or girls,🤣 I was just wondering what made you decide that you wanted a DRZ?? K,E,S,SM what ever bike you may have. . . I remember when I was first thinking of getting a bike, 👍 "almost four years now" I looked at a few street bikes and enduros NEVER once looked at a Harly 🙂 then i came across the 2007 DRZ400SM i fell in love with the bike🤣 I said to my self I dont want that bike I NEED that bike lol 🙂 and then drove it home from the dealer three days later I was one happy camper 🙂🤣 we have had a lot of fun over the last few years and a lot of years of fun coming. . i literally laugh out loud while riding this bike 🙂 its silly. . . so tell a little about how you met your DRZ 🤣

Well, I wanted a supermoto after I passed my test and here in the UK the laws are a bit annoying. Since I'm under 21 I'm only allowed to play with 33bhp for the first 2 years of passing the test (then it's unlimited) so I figured the DRZ was close enough and managed to find a cheap one 👍

Live in Wisconsin and needed a bike with plates, found some sweet deals and ended up with 2 of the old girls now. Awesome bikes!

I wanted a supermoto, the only used one any one withen 200 miles was wr250x (too expensive) and drz400's (reasonable) There was a few others of course, but they all wanted to much. I ended up traded my yz250 for it.

Reliable and robust construction, well known and documented performance upgrades and factory weak-point fixes, huge aftermarket support with performance recipes from mild to wild, more powerful and not much heavier than the 250 dual-sports and just as powerful but lighter than the lumbering 650 dual-sports. Plus, it's a Suzuki!👍

i wanted to get away to a lighter bike, (i usually have a 600)

drz,s are popular and cheap here, theres no comparison for the price,,,,,,

When I was a young man I had a 1975 Honda Elsinore dirt bike that I road every day after work and always wondered how cool it would be to have wide road racing tires on the little beast. That idea stuck with me until I saw the 2005 Supermoto. At first sight I had to have one. That’s all the reason I needed. I didn’t know about the TT Fourms when I purchased the bike but TT has made owning a DRZ a shared experience and has added a dimension to owning a bike that I’ve never known before…thanks to everyone for sharing. I’ve had 18 motorcycles and this is the one I’ve had the most fun riding and working on. No regrets at all.

my dad owned mine before me, he went out on a trail ride and broke 2 ribs trying to keep up with me on my old XR400R. he blamed the bike profusely, so i took it out for a ride, flogged the XR and bought the DRZ

I traded my Hornet 919 in on a brand new DRZ400E after having my license suspended for 9 months (due to speeding infringements).

While waiting for my license I could still play offroad and now I have it back I am not tempted to speed due to the low gearing.

I picked the DRZ due to its low price, reliability, long service intervals and aftermarket support.

I love my DRZ (sexy in black mmmm)

I impulse bought mine. Glad I did to. Since I bought it I've rode a DR650 and a few other dirt bikes and I'm vary happy with the 09 DRZ400S.

Broke my wrist 3 times in a 2 year period. I could no longer ride my Ninja for more than 10 minutes without my hand going numb but I could ride my dirt bike all day without a problem. My Wife loved the look of the Yellow SM so the choice was kind of made for me.

Back in the day , my bike was my only transport , and it was that way untill my 30th birthday . If you travelled around australia like I have , you had to ride or drive , unless you were rich enough to fly . So I have ridden or driven around most of australia and new zealand and now being a bit older and having more money , I have discovered cars , so no need to get wet when it rains anymore . Plane trips have now become affordable , almost cheap one might say and the need for a long distance tourer / sportsbike just wasnt there anymore . As most of my riding was dirt orientated anyway I was looking to convert an old yammy TT500 into a road bike , when I found out that they were producing supermotards brand new . I initially was going to get a husky 510 , but $15000 was just too much . So I gave up that idea and thought I would get a registered trailbike . Then after a trip to the local suzuki dealer and seeing my DRZ/SM sitting there , I just had to have it , and I did . I had reached the point where I just wanted some nice fun , cheap transport around town and to and from work . This bike has fullfilled that need and more and it is such a ball to ride . Sometime in the future I will get another dirtbike and I think it will be a DRZ/E , greg

Over the years I've had a few street and dirt bikes, my favorite was a 78 RM 400, light and a ton of power, never mind I broke the frame five times. In the 90's I got a Sportster to ride to work but found myself flat tracking it around corners and wishing I could check out every dirt road I passed. So I dumped the Sportie for a new 04 DRZ S and knobbyed it out. I thought the knobbys would keep me up right on the street,👍 that didn't work.🤣

I wanted a bike that could do everything within reason, 18 mile one-way commute, singletrack on the weekend.

Had to be a used bike. Had to be a full-sized bike, already had a TW200.

For the money, what other choice is there really?

And to top it off, I had spent alot of time here reading, the vast base of info in this forum sealed the deal for me. Thanks everyone.

Reliable and robust construction, well known and documented performance upgrades and factory weak-point fixes, huge aftermarket support with performance recipes from mild to wild, more powerful and not much heavier than the 250 dual-sports and just as powerful but lighter than the lumbering 650 dual-sports. Plus, it's a Suzuki!👍

Suzuki hhhhhmmmmmmm....so sweet

Great comparison to the 250's and 650's, that pretty much explains it. If you wanted a better bike plated and road ready, with more power, your only option where i live is to chuck out some cash and buy the ultra expensive KTM or try to find one nicely used(impossible). The DRZ isn't cheap new but there are plenty out there and used deals are all over the place.🤣

I always liked having something nobody else had. I used to have a CRM250. Problem is, finding parts for something that was never sold on this continent was a major PITA. So I went out and picked up a bike that everyone else had. I now see why they are so popular. It really is the best do-it-all bike you can buy.

Reliability, ride with my son, freeway/commuter capable, bolt on HP mods / upgrades and paid $5K new OTD. Proly dropped $400 on dual purpose riding gear. I quit worrying about mileage after the JD jet kit. At the time a new KTM was $9K, bitchin bike!! The DRZ was the right choice for me and it came in blue. Now it sports a jetted CVK40 and a great SSW/MRD pipe, working on some katana rims for sumo.

I sold my klr 650 and found my white love an 05 drz sm. I was craving something lighter and torqier, is that a word. Also, I wanted to learn how to wheelie and a motor that could withstand miles and miles. I could write a page on how much i appreciate my bike.

reliability, easy to get parts for, and the parts don't cost a fortune like they sometimes do for KTMs.

It has a rear subframe, so I can install a rack, to carry things, like a chainsaw for trail work:

IMG_2386.jpg

and everyone in my circle of riding friends rides a DRZ too, so we all know how to work on them and help out on the trail if issues arise.