Sign in to follow this  

Keeping the neighbors happy

We just built a small track on our property on a few acres. We have neighbors close to the track and want keep them in good standing. My sons CR 85 has the FMF Turbine Core 2 on it. I was surprised when I walked over to my neighbors how loud his bike was. This is a new silencer so the packing is good. I would like to know what can be done to further quiet it down. I was thinking something I could slip on and off when we go to the track. I have heard about the DB Snorkel. Anyone running one? A friend suggested slipping on an old tire tube? (not sure about that one) Any others?

We just built a small track on our property on a few acres. We have neighbors close to the track and want keep them in good standing. My sons CR 85 has the FMF Turbine Core 2 on it. I was surprised when I walked over to my neighbors how loud his bike was. This is a new silencer so the packing is good. I would like to know what can be done to further quiet it down. I was thinking something I could slip on and off when we go to the track. I have heard about the DB Snorkel. Anyone running one? A friend suggested slipping on an old tire tube? (not sure about that one) Any others?

Talk to the neighbors and set up a weekly riding schedule and stick to it.

I doubt a db snorkel would put up to track riding very well. You could possibly modify the stock muffler to mount as an extension to the TC2.

Ya the best thing you could do is just go and talk to them. Set up a riding schedule and do your best to stick to it. If they know your going to be riding at a certain time every couple days then they can expect/plan around it.

One neighbor is totally cool about it. They want the their grandkids over to ride the track. The other one is a real curmudgeon. I got the "I moved to the country to have peace and quiet" speech when I talked to them about it. They are retired and always home so I don't think any schedule will work except a quieter one.

I don't have experience with any of these, but have listed them as possible alternatives:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=447526&store=Main&catId=&productId=p447036&leafCatId=&mmyId=4500004

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=448868&store=Main&catId=&productId=p448868&leafCatId=&mmyId=4500004

You might check with FMF to see if you can upgrade your existing silencer to the new "Q" version.

Besides a more quiet exhaust, you might think about bushes, trees, privacy fence, etc.. They won't make up for a loud exhaust pipe, but will help, nonetheless.

One neighbor is totally cool about it. They want the their grandkids over to ride the track. The other one is a real curmudgeon. I got the "I moved to the country to have peace and quiet" speech when I talked to them about it. They are retired and always home so I don't think any schedule will work except a quieter one.

Keep in mind that a lot of perception about "noise" relates to attitude. To some people the sound of a two-stroke on the pipe is pure, sweet, music. To others it can be a major irritation regardless of the level.

I've seen people who can ride their straight-piped Harley all day long, mow their yard with gas-powered lawn mowers and weed eaters, but can't stand the sound of a radio-controlled airplane more than a half mile away.

Alot of the noise comes from the pipe. Install a pipe guard or you can wrap it with header wrap.

If you wrap the header, you may have to re-jet the bike

Your cheapest solution may be to buy Mr. Wilson some gift cards to local restaurants to get them out of the house.

You can do 2 things about your neighbor: As CoRider said, get him GC to a buffet (retired people like the all you can eat option) and nicely ask him to turn down the volume in his hearing aid ... all jokes apart, I think the tree would work because if he can't hear, he'll still find a way to complain about dust...might be costly but you can always talk to him and see if he's willing to go half'n'half...worth a shot..

Make sure you keep the track moist. Dust is a big enemy also. 👍

On a warm summer evening the dust would lay in the air until dark before I got a way to water my lil track I had. Nothing was said but I know it piss'd off neighbors..............would've me.🤣

I like the tree idea. The track has tall deciduous trees around it already. Mainly alder and some maple which probably don't block out too much sound. Maybe I should build a wall of trees between me and the curmudgeon. I was hoping they made something like the DB Dawg for the 2T. Probably going to take a while to grow the great wall. lol

Dirt berms are more effective at absorbing noise than trees unfortunately. The dBSnorkel helps but not greatly IMO. You might try The Q from FMF but don't expect huge differences there either. I would get the restaurant gift cards, a set schedule, and keep that silencer freshly packed at all times.

IMO, the Q Stealth is the quietest race muffler available but they're not made for 85s. Maybe you could weld up a KDX200 muffler though? Dead quiet but would prolly kill the track power. 👍

Excuse my ignorance, but where I am from you can do whatever you want on your property as long as you don't break any bi-laws like noise violation after 11 p.m. (Example from my area). If I had land with a track on it and some citiot (City + Idiot) moves out to the country for some peace and quiet, he would be in for a suprise. Presently, I live out in the country so that I can have the luxuries of accessing my riding area's without trailering, just open the garage door and go along with basically being able to do what I want when I want.

IMO, if the diplomatic route doesn't work, your neighbour has two options, deal with the noise or simply move away.

Excuse my ignorance, but where I am from you can do whatever you want on your property as long as you don't break any bi-laws like noise violation after 11 p.m. (Example from my area). If I had land with a track on it and some citiot (City + Idiot) moves out to the country for some peace and quiet, he would be in for a suprise. Presently, I live out in the country so that I can have the luxuries of accessing my riding area's without trailering, just open the garage door and go along with basically being able to do what I want when I want.

IMO, if the diplomatic route doesn't work, your neighbour has two options, deal with the noise or simply move away.

Not true in WA state. All noise must stop between 10PM and 7AM. That and the neighbor could complain and organize other neighbors (could be wealthy, well connected types that contribute greatly towards re-election campaigns) to put pressure on the County Commissioners to set forth additional noise restrictions for private property or even ban/outlaw MX tracks on private property. They can pass resolutions by zoning or to the Growth Management Act to place these restrictions on private land.

It's best to talk to those nearby rather than just do what you want. If you had 15 MILES of land between you and the next guy then fine go for it. I can hear trains as far away as ten miles but I accept that as normal sound emitted from commerce. I also accept the right of one to do what they want but many others in my state feel differently when others rights impinge upon them. 👍

The USA is not the land of the free anymore.🤣

Its not about being free, its about being courteous. What happened to being nice to your neighbours instead of an arsehole (Aurex).

Trees and a set schedule are your first moves. Cedar hedges would work well.

I like the schedule idea, it's fair and compromises both parties.

They have to hear the noise every once in a while, but not all the time. You get to ride once in a while but not all the time.

If you come up with a fair riding schedule and ask their opinion about it, they may appreciate it and come to a decision with you. If they don't and tell you they don't want you riding any time, then at least when they phone the cops one day you can tell the LEO's that you tried. The law always tries to be fair and they can't ask you to just stop your recreational fun 100% especially out in the country, but if they see that you tried to form a schedule with the niegbors they may tell them too bad so sad.