Smart install feedback!

Hey everyone, I am not too happy with my racetech setup on my 09 crf450r and after reading about Dave's oil and the mods he offers I have decided to go with Smart Performance.

I am probably going to send my suspension to Dave because I haven't re-valved forks before and I can't think of anyone better suited to install parts than the person who designed them.

However I am curious about the experience that others have had installing Dave's oil and mods.

Was it pretty straight forward?

Was it harder than doing a standard re-valve?

After the initial test ride did you feel anything needed to be adjusted?

Any 09 CRF 450 riders in here who have had Dave rework their suspension. How was it?

Thanks

I had never revalved forks before and had no problems with mine, the instructions are straight forward. I had to contact him twice, which he responded very quick, other than that it was much more simply than I thought.

I would say doing a standard revalve is probably harder, he sends you a build sheet and instructions, and even a dummy like me got it right:bonk: I am currently trying some different settings that Dave gave me to try:ride:

All in all his stuff and help is tops:thumbsup:

I just feel a little for the guy, he must get a thousand mails a day from guys like me

I did all my stuff as a DIY kit, also. Up until that time, I hadn't done any more to the forks than change seals and springs. I do have a lot of technical experience in an array of other areas, but no prior suspension experience. I had no real problems that were not entirely of my own making, and the results are extraordinary. Great instructions, great support, too.

• 1 month later...

I just did my forks with Daves DDT DIY kit and it was pretty easy. I have torn forks apart before but never to this extent so his instructions and build sheets are easy to follow. I am working on the shock this afternoon, following Daves build sheet and drilling the transfer ports, and will hopefully get to ride it next sunday. I am very excited none the less. Dave has great customer service and I even drove to his place in los gatos to meet him and get a few other parts(rod seals replaced and new rods).

one thing to make sure of if you do it yourself, is since you have previously modified suspension your going to have to measure your shims so he knows what you have, make sure you are very accurate on this and thorough i had a problem with this, my fault not daves! but now that i have it all sorted out, it is the best suspension i have ever rode and could not be happier!!

I revalved my forks with Dave's set-up, I purchased the whole enchilada for the forks and the results were more than worth it. It did take me quite a while on the first fork due to teaching myself as I went, the second in less than half the time. Instructions are first rate. I have been into my forks on previous bikes, but not as deep as for these changes, still have the shock to do and am more worried about doing it than the forks. There are a number of videos for the forks that are helpful for initial teardown and refill; but I have not found any on the shock for that hand-holding experience.

I found the experience very satisfiying and if you are mechanically inclined, well worth it. I feel I gained knowledge in setting up initial settings with the clickers, I will not say I gained in the area of shim settings and may never get that far as so far I am very happy with the way they work for my type and style of riding with Dave's settings and shim stack. By the way, the cost so far is about twice the cost of just shipping them out for revalve and adjustments.

I can understand your confusion; when I got the email regarding the reply, I read what I had written and was confused myself!!! What I tried to convey is the cost is minimal compared to what my costs were in just shipping to other companies for revalves and then back again for changes. Hope that makes sense now.

your not happy with the Race Tech setup, have you tried adjusting the clickers?? I ended up a bit soft on valving for my 04crf450 for "expert woods". Suggested was 12 clicks from full stiff on front compression. I run between 6 for woods, and 5 from full stiff when it gets a bit more "mx like". the shock damping adjuster i run almost all the way out, only 1/4-1/2 turn in from full SOFT. Made a world of difference but before you spend more money, take some time adjusting the stuff .. then decide. R.T. has great customer service and will give you suggestions after the install.

Not saying Smart is not good.. i have no ideal.. carry on!