Sign in to follow this  

Deciding on a tank for my 09 yz450

I am trying to decide on either a IMS or a Clarke tank for my YZ. I'm looking for it to retain a "as close to stock" look as possible. I don't like a big bulge in front of my seat for my bits to get slammed against.

Looking at pics of each the IMS looks to be the best bet, but I wanted to get some input as to which you all like the most. Also, I heard you have to reverse the petcock for the IMS tank. Why is that? and how much harder is it to operate? (Not that it's hard to begin with, I'm just worried about burning fingers on a hot engine).

Sorry I thought I posted this in the YZ450 forums. I was very wrong.👍

I would personally go wtih IMS. they are a great company. i cracked my old IMS tank; and it went a lot better then i though it was going go. because the tank came with the used bike and it was out of warranty and on top of that, i didn't have a receipt. so i called them and told them about my situation and they were really cool! i sent them the tank, they checked it out and sent me a brand new tank for free!!! thats how to do business. and i didn't have to turn the petcock around. so i don't think that would happen on your yz.

oh and also, when i put the IMS tank on my kx450, it didn't make the shrouds any widers. so the bike had the same feel to it. so i would say go for it!

Michael

Great! Thanks! I didn't think that this thread would be brought back to the front after the TT recall deal.

I had the very same problem as redrider58 had and my tank was also on a kx450. I bought the tank and still had the receipt and I also got a replacement tank from IMS. I have a Clarke on my 250 2t, it works but the fit and finish is no where near as good as the IMS

I had a 3.2 gallon ims tank on my 07wr450, which is the same model that they sell to fit your yz, and I absolutely hated it. It didn't feel good, and it leaked from around the cap. I'm running a clarke now, and the feel is much better. The ims tank felt really fat. The clarke is much slimmer. I have an ims 3 gallon tank on my yz250 that I don't care very much for either.