Sign in to follow this  

Time for a clutch....

So I can't even pull a wheelie now. The thing chatters like mad and neutral is getting harder to find. In this economy I am tired of paying people to do stuff I know I can do. I have yanked motors (not a tear down), completely disassembled bikes in the 30 years of riding. But never done a clutch.

Can I buy a clutch kit? Should I stay with stock?

Thanks, Guys

stock.

tear into it first to inspect, then replace as needed. Don't forget to order a new clutch nut as they are a one time use part.

If you've done any sort of mechanical work, this is not a hard job to tackle. If you don't already have one, get the manual, you'll need torque specs.

The only time where you wouldn't go completely stock if you had a big bore on there. In that case your use stock drive and friction plates with heavy duty springs which you might be able to get from honda.

Don't forget to order a new clutch nut as they are a one time use part.

You do not need a new clutch nut, it's reusable. You lock it to the main shaft with a punch. He shouldn't even need to take that off unless something is further wrong then plates and springs.

spodeboy, it's a very easy job with some basic tools. EBC makes a really good kit. I've got a few installed in different machines with good results. Stock is good too but I see no need to spend an extra $50 when you don't need to. RMATV has the EBC kit for $89. Includes friction and steel plates with new springs. The clutch cover is o-ringed so you don't need gaskets or anything. The only trick is to not over tighten the 5 bolts on the pressure plate because it's not hard to do damage there.

You're right, you CAN re-use the nut, but I believe Honda specs it as a replacement item. Of course this is from memory, and that's beginning to fade in my old age.

I'm also visualizing the XR250 side cover, not the XR400 which has the clutch access plate.