Sign in to follow this  

Banshee rear suspension swap?

Anyone know if a rear YFZ, YFZR or any other 450 shock will fit on my 04 banshee w/stock swing arm? I just need somthing better than stock, the front is all hooked up with +2 a arms and elkas but it lands like a lumber wagon when I land on the rear.

If you are on a tight budge you can also have the stock shock guts replaced. I had Works do mine and it was ~$250 keeping the stock spring. Handles much better now over fast bumpy dunes but I don't do any big jumps.

For aftermarket Elkas are considered one of the best, but you pay for it too. Works gets mixed reviews.

hmm i always actually liked banshee rears, the only other shock that will fit is an 01 rappy, but it will pick the back end up 2 inches at the grab bar

beastly warrior is right. the raptor rear fits. it handles really nice. ive heard that a warrior 350 rear shock works too but im not too sure. you will have to investigate. go to bansheehq.com. they will have an answer for you

Can any of you guys tell me what the mount to mount length is of the rear shock on any of the discussed machine...( raptors, banshees, 450r's, warriors )........lookin for an inexpensive way to lower a MX bike ( YZ 250 ) for the ice. stock length on my bike is 16 5/8".....lookin to lower a couple inches.

hmm i always actually liked banshee rears,

I have to agree with this dude. I liked the stock rear shock. It adjust really well and the travel is fine as long as you aren't running MX and really pushing it. Elka rebuilt my stock rear shock and it was fine. It matched the front Elkas. The only place I could complain was that I was over-riding it. If I had a Banshee and was doing it over, I would buy the linkage and an Elka shock. Mine gave out really bad past half stroke. It was set up for "pro" mx rider. Not knocking Elka. The stock rear has its limitations. You really have to push it to find them though,

The factory rear shock has the EXACT same internals as ohlins. It is a great shock and if you can afford it you should get it set up for you instead of switching a raptor or other less adequate shock. The rear shock is set up from the factory as sprung for a heavier rider and valved for a lighter one, and the combination results in the poor performance out of the box. Send it off, get it set up for you and you will be happy.