Sign in to follow this  

2010 KTM 300 XC(W) or 450 XC six days

As the topic says, which would you guys prefer as a bike for trails only, and for the 300 would you go with the XC or the XC-W? I am mainly a motocrosser, have been all my life, currently own a 2010 kx250F and a 2009 KX450, but am looking at doing some trail rides and getting to the hills more often, let me know what you think as i like what i have been reading about both, has anyone had a chance to compare them?

I'd say it depends on the type of trails you ride~! The only difference between the 300's XC & the XC-W is weight and the gear ratio. The 450 xc-w will have more hit and it also has 6 gears, better for technical trails. The 300 XC is going to feel more ike an MX bike and is lighter, its gear ratio might be tight and diificult to control on rocky, technical terrain....just a thought~!

300 xcw is what you want. lower first gear on the "w" for tight stuff. the xc suspension is much stiffer too than the "w". very lite and nimble compared to 450

The 300 XC and XCW are the same weight.

The W is a little softer valved suspension wise and uses open chamber forks. (very easy to service)

The XC is a close ratio gearbox like a MXer and uses closed chamber forks.

Overall top speed much higher on the W

Both have E start

I prefer the XCW and add 2 teeth to the rear sproket.

Both will feel lightyears lighter than a 450.

If your a decent 2-stroke rider both will out-perform a 450 in the woods.

They won't have overheating issues common with slow moving 450s in tight areas.

A fan can be added to either the 450 or 300.

I've had many 450 and IMO the 300 cannot be beat in the woods.

There is a large review in dirt rider, on their most current issue (not sure what month, probably August?) the riders praised the 300 XC-W, but instead of a 450 XC-W they where riding a 400 XC-W as well as the Husaberg 400. Coming from reading that article, I wouldn't hesitate buying myself a 300 XC-W if I could afford it. They referred to it as a '3-stroke' because of the smooth bottom end and plushness through the gears, or something on that key. Anyway you go, it will still be a great decision going with KTM. Going to sell my VOR here soon and looking to get myself a '04 450 EXC.

Happy Riding,

BBDirtbiking

www.youtube.com/BBDirtbiking

I think you should buy a 450 exc. Street legal. You already have two bikes that are not street legal and worthy of some great trail riding. Use them. Get the exc to get to the trails without trailer, or get from trail to trail without any legal issues.

my 450 exc needs a rebuild at 160 hours. burns oil like a pig. The plate is not worth the p.o.s. bike they mount it on. i wish i would have purchased the 300.

my 450 exc needs a rebuild at 160 hours. burns oil like a pig. The plate is not worth the p.o.s. bike they mount it on. i wish i would have purchased the 300.

Doing maintenance on it like a KTM needs, or like a yamaha/honda. Could be the problem there.

I have the exact opposite experience. I can't remember the hours, but around the same. Never burned a drop of oil. The only problem I've had is I keep bending up my license plate. I do change the oil after every 2 or 3 rides. Or after each race.

Doing maintenance on it like a KTM needs, or like a yamaha/honda. Could be the problem there.

regular maintenance done, buddies 530 needed a rebuild at around the same miles too. get the 300.

regular maintenance done, buddies 530 needed a rebuild at around the same miles too. get the 300.

Case closed then! 👍

I have an 08 450EXCR and it has been an awesome bike. Only mechanical problem was the cam chain tensioner. The plate is very nice to have. You need one to race enduros up here. Great power (too much usually). Once the suspension was re-valved, the bike rips through ultra rough terrain. Unstoppable in rocks. The only time it feels heavy is when your picking it up or pulling it out of mud. It is truly an awesome bike.

But, I love the 300 too. So I just ordered a 2011 300xc. No worries about top speed anymore. It has a 6 speed tranny for 2011.

As far as cost, 300 all the way. Cheaper to buy and cheaper and easier to maintain. You rebuild the top end more frequently than on a 4T, but it is way easier and cheaper.

hold out for the 2011 300 as it will be a 6 speed - that is one of the few 300 downfalls (top speed) for the occasional open stuff.

I came off a 300 after a 250 and now enjoying a 09 400 xcw with a few simple mods. I dont miss any thing about the two stroke, I have 160 hours on my 400,no valve adjustment, no oil burning, starts on first round. ridden in tight rocky, slippery /greasy , sandy, whooped out , root laden , flat silt covered hard pack tight single track to semi open single track . Average speed 15-19 mph.

I find this bike gets better the nastier the conditions get. even in the mud with the bike on the ground, I dont have a OH I wish the bike was lighter. The bike is so well mannered and balanced its an ease to ride.

Twist harder to go faster, the bike's natural positions is upright on two wheels going forward.

I don't get it! When i get to the top of our steepest most technical trail, all the 2stroke bikes my friends ride are puking water. ktm 250 & 300's, 250 Japanese bikes all puking water. My yamaha 450 rarely boils out a drop.