Sign in to follow this  

New Site and New Bike

Newb here. Just bought my KLX450 08 model brand new. Did some research before buying but I was fixed on it. A couple short rides and experiancing these "issues' the bike is known for. Running hot, poor idle when not on the gas, etc. Reading all the different comments on the mods is discouraging at best. The mechanic at the dealership already removed the end cap on the exhaust, modified the air box.

Trail riding, FTR and some small tracks for fun only, is the plan. No Competition. I just want to make this bike easy, relaible and fun. Where do i start.

👍

Welcome! If you are running stock jetting with the oem muffler uncorked, I can imagine your unhappiness. It might even run better with the plug in the tailpipe.

JD Jet Kit or similar, air fuel mixture screw, aftermarket muffler plus the airbox mod you already did and it will run cooler and make you smile when you twist your wrist......

Also, that stock battery may go bad earlier than expected, so dont be surprised. Get a battery tender for when it's parked.

Welcome aboard.

The bike needs some minor sorting. After that, it's all good.

Pretty much like everyone else here I did a few mods immediately after purchasing my KLX:

1. JD jet kit (running 170 main)

2. open up air box

3. FMF powerbomb header and pipe

4. 13 tooth front and 52 tooth rear sprockets

5. Devol radiator guards and skid plate

6. MSR handguards

7. New battery

I also have waiting for the next down time:

1. Flexible fuel screw

2. AIS removal kit

3. Tu-Bliss tire system

With those mods I have never experienced any overheating even in the most technical areas (low speed High rev). Once I replaced the battery with a new factory battery, my starting problems went away also. The bike has way more power than my DRZ-400 even with the Athena 440 big bore kit and Hot Cams. The new gearing is great for the trail riding we do with lots of vertical.

Do your family a favor. Carry a SPOT2 GPS locator so they know where to find the body.

Check everybody's "garage" info for our setups. They're all pretty similar. Welcome to the club!

You ever ride Croom? You can ride mine there....and see how you like it. Couple of easy mods.

You gonna ride the KLX in the FTR hare scrambles?

Bought my "new" 08 a few months ago after reading the info here. Didn't like it very well stock. I did the "usual" mods = JD jet kit, opened the air box, exhaust insert, AIS removal, Flex fuel screw, heat reflective tape on the bottom of the gas tank, a few guards and a heavier rear spring. Now it's great! Doesn't over heat creeping around the muddy woods and makes my arms sore when getting on the gas. Starts good even after falling over upside down with gas dripping out of various holes:blush:... Set it up and enjoy!

Only thing I would add is to grease every electrical connection you can find. Also if you are able pull the pins on the stator connector (under fuel tank on left side) and reverse the ends so the male is on the bottom instead of the top. This lead to a lot of stators burning up.

Dave,,

my bike did the same thing and I was very worried I just spent $4500.00 on a pile of @#$% how ever I installed the JD jet kit and on its second full ride 55 plus miles of hard mountain riding it ran great and better each time out. I have no complaints with this machine it has sort of over heated once but thats normal on any bike when you lugg it around.

Good Luck