Sign in to follow this  

R1 to dual sport

ok time to change🤣 , I have a 1991 dr 350s originally bought for field use but since converted to a 440 15x44 gearing with 39mm fcr used for green laning some real tight twisties and some hill climbs wheelying around b roads etc but road legal, and an 03 yzf R1 which is my main bike , I want to sell the R1 and get a more powerfull dual purpose bike that is capable of the same stuff as the DR similar or less weight but not much heavier , im 15 stone 5ft 9 inch tall 40yr old , and as much as i love the buzz of the R1 , i now want a more comfy🤣 but want a dual purpose that can sit at 120 mph and still handle the Drs role as well or am i banging my head off 👍 also low maintainence is essential else i would buy a crf 450 or wr etc???????????????????????

Edited by cyrusgsxr

120mph? What.....

sorry forgot to add 2 of my buddies already lost their licence with the sports bikes🤣 those of us who are lucky enough to still be riding here in the uk want too keep ours 👍 , in all honesty I would keep the R1 for ever and ever I love it so much and if it were not for the fear of losing the right to ride I would never change it, however my Dr although much fun on the Dr duties is no match for 200 mile plus ride outs on public highways , im looking for a dual purpose bike that is not too shy on top end yet capable of off road too , budjet will be between £2000 n £4000 , Im also a sucker for farckling and tuning so thinking something 650 cc + with two sets of wheels sm style that is as happy on long distance as pulling my fat carcass up the side of a mountain🤣

oh, price is an issue than.... all these bike are around $10000 U.S..... or more

sorry i forgot to mention price was an issue , ill be looking for a bike few years old too cant afford new , just wondered if there was anything to fit the bill s/h , there are plenty of big thumpers or twins here in the UK for sale around the £2000 mark but they are too old and too heavy for off road in my riding style, wondered what was available sm or dual sport capable of road rides and would comfortably be able to do distance as well , we tend to go long runs here as we dont get good weather, riding season only lasts for 6-7 months

thanks for the links you posted the 950 and 650 KTMs look like they would fit the bill are they available in older versions ?? and how reliable are the ktm lc4s or lc8s Ive always had a jap bike right from day one way back in the early 80 s

Edited by cyrusgsxr