Sign in to follow this  

I dont understand racers

1st: my friend who is a pro quad racer strips his yamaha quad down to the frame after every race and replaces wheel bearings after every race. Bleeds the brakes. Excessive much? I understand following the manual but that seems insane. To each his own but he must spend alot of time dissembling the whole thing and putting it back together damn.

2nd: This guy who has a turbo hayabusa was explaining the power and quality of his well strung machine. I looked down at his dirty kinked chain and I said "do you clean and lube your chain?" he said "no its a race chain it doesnt need any maintence..." Huh

1st: my friend who is a pro quad racer strips his yamaha quad down to the frame after every race and replaces wheel bearings after every race. Bleeds the brakes. Excessive much? I understand following the manual but that seems insane. To each his own but he must spend alot of time dissembling the whole thing and putting it back together damn.

Well, that's is what seperates the pros from the amateurs

2nd: This guy who has a turbo hayabusa was explaining the power and quality of his well strung machine. I looked down at his dirty kinked chain and I said "do you clean and lube your chain?" he said "no its a race chain it doesnt need any maintence..." Huh

Well, he's just an idiot.

MAX!!!

having raced quads, those wheel bearings and axle carrier bearings dont last very long at all when you start really hitting the jumps

hayabusa guy sounds like he needs to ease off the nitrous (in his brain).

Wheel bearings every race? Seems to me like he needs to put them in properly, and he'll only have to replace them every 6 months to a year.

My buddies tell me im obsessive with my bike, cuz I take it all apart after every race for maintenance. My bike doesnt have problems at the races either!! I roll out of the trailer ready to race, not work on my bike.

The other guy just wants to die. Would you want your chain breaking and getting all kinked and jammed in your cases while screaming along at 100+ mph speeds? Highly doubtful....

maybe he means in inspects/repacks them every race? They are pretty expensive bearings

having raced quads

lol, that made me smile.

For the op, there are lots and lots and lots of racers that do reasonable maintenance on their bikes. I know I'd rather ride than work on bikes, and I know that working on my bike more wouldn't make me any faster, so I do what is necessary and don't do what is not necessary.

Folks that race in alot of mud and water will probably find they need to do alot more maintenance than folks that mostly race in sand and/or dry conditions.

Folks that race in alot of mud and water will probably find they need to do alot more maintenance than folks that mostly race in sand and/or dry conditions.

for atv's it's the jumping that does it, the forces put on the bearings when you land on one wheel is pretty crazy, add longer axles and it's even worse

I used to destroy rear axle bearings in my trx250r a couple times every summer racing on mx tracks

You can race and maintain it but you can also go too far.

If you race motocross, and tear it down after every race, your'e wasting your time by doing it that often. You figure with a race day you run what, two motos (four if you're double classing) and practice. That comes out to maybe an hour of run time.

Some people just enjoy the wrenching almost as much as the riding. I'm one of those. If I know I'm not gonna be riding for a few weeks I'm apt to take the bike all the way down just to check everything out. I just enjoy spending time in the garage with a wrench in hand, and there's not much better than getting greasy on a weekday evening.

You can't base your opinion of racers on just 2 people. I race, but I do regular maintenance on my bike. I do major tear downs only during the winter if I plan on keeping the bike. I make sure it is always clean and inspect it, replace parts as necessary.