Sign in to follow this  

xr350 close save

Been working on an 83 xr350r. It was sitting for 3+ years and after getting it to fire and clean the carbs it runs well.

I wanted to clean out the oil screen and change the filter etc, so after pulling the clutch cover off I saw little pieces of the timing chain tensioner in the bottom of the case.

Pulled rocker cover and chain is tight but could tell the tensioner was shot so I decided to replace it while I was in there.

The pin that holds the compression release in the rocker cover had fallen out and down into the cam chain tunnel and fortunately it was wedged between the forward tensioner and the cylinder head. It could have been much worse though.

so anyway, I should have a new head gasket, clutch cover gasket, valve seals and assorted o-rings, plus tensioner to put it all back together this weekend.

Will probably lap in the valves while it's apart to clean the seats of any corrrosion from sitting. Cam, bearings, and rockers all look good.

Excited.

Good catch! My 600 was similar when I first tore into her (after hundreds of hours of beatings lol). Post up some pics when you get her rolling.