Sign in to follow this  

Unkorked

un-corked:

Removing restrictions from the exhaust in order to a) improve performance,🤣 make a bike unreasonably loud, or c) impress the chicks.

Note: many un-corking attempts result in a) failure to improve anything,🤣 un-impressed chicks and track officials, c) pissy neighbors, and/or d) environmental groups working harder to close trails.

But seriously, just having a bit of fun with this. 👍

I was told some year XRs had intake manifolds with a lot of restriction in them. is this true? Mine looks fine "94".

Typically, pull the snorkels from the airbox and use a quality filter. (I like UNI's). Plan to re-jet once you do this as it will likely make the bike run lean.

There's another mod to smooth the exhaust header welds (pick up the copper exhaust gaskets first...)

I'm not aware of anything downstream of the airbox being "restrictive" for a '94. Someone else might know. Can't hurt to search the forum and see what mods make sense to you.

Here's the XR600/650 FAQ: https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653373

It's referred to as Dave's Mods(modification)---search it.It will make your XRL operate much cooler,improve performance a bit.If I remember right,Daves use's the OEM exhaust---the main gain from doing the "Mods" is the bike will operate cooler!.🤣👍

Just about every XRR in existence has been uncorked, too. Honda put small jets in the carb and restricted the intake to meet emissions requirements (or so I'm told).

Honda sold a kit that opened up the intake and exhaust, and rejetted the carb. I've never ridden a "corked" one, but everyone seems to agree it's a lot faster when opened up to run like it was designed to (like they already were in the rest of the world).

un-corked:

Removing restrictions from the exhaust in order to a) improve performance,🤣 make a bike unreasonably loud, or c) impress the chicks.

Note: many un-corking attempts result in a) failure to improve anything,🤣 un-impressed chicks and track officials, c) pissy neighbors, and/or d) environmental groups working harder to close trails.

But seriously, just having a bit of fun with this. 👍

I have to disagree all the way.

I find it hard to understand how people compromise to ride a bike like the 650R with all these emission control stuff added on.

For me it's like forcing a wild dog for example to live in 1x1 cage for all it's life.

I understand that in some countries laws are more strict and you can't do otherwise but still isn't it sad in a way to have a bike and not to really know the beauty and potentials of it's engine.

My opinion is that uncorking is a must for the 650R and i mean just the simple uncorking process which includes rejetting the stock carb, replacing the exhaust tip with the HRC one,removing the plastic parts from the airbox and replacing the intake manifold.

This is the stock 650R.

Not all 650R's are corked.

Seems that the most corked ones are the California models.

Now if you want to start appreciating your bike you should install a full racing exhaust system, a pumper carb and an free flow air filter.

This is still the stock 650R but now it runs as it should with a stock engine if you ask me.

And if you want to really love her then get the HRC kit (or create your own recipe) which includes the parts the bike should have had on in order to serve it's original purpose.

Let's not forget that the 650R is a racing dirt bike.

How many racing dirt bikes you know that are quiet?