Sign in to follow this  

2002 cr250 clutch assembly question

I had to replace the shift shaft on my 2002 cr250. We pulled off the clutch, replaced the spindle, put the bike back together and thought we were good. Bike shifted through the gears. Clutch pull felt normal. Well, without testing the bike out, we headed out to the woods, started the bike up, went to put it in gear and it jumped ahead and died. The clutch wasnt working.

We thought maybe a washer went in the wrong place, but no. The bike is at my buddies house and he just took the cover off to look and we're baffled.

I replaced the steel clutch plates, friction plates, and the springs last july. I have ridden the bike a ton since then, the clutch has been working perfectly.

Looking at the parts fiche now, it shows two different steel clutch plates with different part numbers. It also shows two friction plates in a row with no steel plate in between. I don't remember putting two clutch plates together in a row, and when we pulled the clutch out last week, we certainly would've noticed two friction plates in a row, so I've been riding with alternating clutch and steel plates since last july with no problems. Now we're having an issue and cant figure it out.

I apparently made a good guess when I put the steel plates in the first time, cause they all seemed the same to me. I used the Tusk clutch kit from RM.

Anybody have an idea or can help me out? Is there really supposed to be two friction plates in a row?

cr250_CLUTCH.gif

This is the original poster, posting from PC's place.

hey guys, I just spent a few more hours pulling all this apart and putting it all back together, it still doesnt work.

start the bike, put it in gear, its not working, it lurches and dies with the clutch pulled in. Its not working. The plates are not stuck together, they are lubed, I push started it and rode it, nothing, I pull in the clutch and give it gas, it goes forward. crap, please help.