Sign in to follow this  

Need DRZ SM help quick!

The bike

2006 drz 400 sm

The mod list

3x3

yoshi slip on

-Did the pipe and the 3x3 last night. it runs but not great. jets are not installed. it pops in decel. curious as to what might cause this. pretty sure not being properly tuned.

anyway,

Today I did the jetting on the carb today. with a friend giving some assistance. The problems are as follows

*Throttle sticks and does not return.

*Idle is super high.

jets are 155 main, 22.5, 60.

thanks. This is my first time doing anything to my drz.👍

The bike

2006 drz 400 sm

The mod list

3x3

yoshi slip on

-Did the pipe and the 3x3 last night. it runs but not great. jets are not installed. it pops in decel. curious as to what might cause this. pretty sure not being properly tuned.

anyway,

Today I did the jetting on the carb today. with a friend giving some assistance. The problems are as follows

*Idle is super high.

What jet kit did you get?

*Idle is super high.

Start with: Blame your friend, then smile and hand him a beer.🤣

First, fix the throttle sticking issue. Make sure the slide is in the carb properly and that the cables aren't pinched in a funny angle somewhere. A couple of things:

1) There's a "fluorocarbon grease" for the slide. if you can get some, use it. Sparingly. It helps more than you'd think.

2) A high idle after working on a carb (assuming the slide returns to the idle position) tends to be a geometry problem in the carb (slide plate upside down or some other kind of misalignment), or an air leak from a boot or the slide cover. It can also be that the new pilot jet is too small. What size did you have in there before?

What to look at depends on how far apart you took apart the carb.

Start with: Blame your friend, then smile and hand him a beer. 👍

First, fix the throttle sticking issue. Make sure the slide is in the carb properly and that the cables aren't pinched in a funny angle somewhere. A couple of things:

1) There's a "fluorocarbon grease" for the slide. if you can get some, use it. Sparingly. It helps more than you'd think.

2) A high idle after working on a carb (assuming the slide returns to the idle position) tends to be a geometry problem in the carb (slide plate upside down or some other kind of misalignment), or an air leak from a boot or the slide cover. It can also be that the new pilot jet is too small. What size did you have in there before?

stock 36 mm mikuni cv carb we are workin with right

stock 36 mm mikuni cv carb we are workin with right

Yeah, that was one of my mental giant moments. too many bikes... lol 👍

still, hanging idle with the slide in the idle postion = lean or an airleak...

Start with: Blame your friend, then smile and hand him a beer. 👍

Well I'm the friend who's lending a hand and i'm still waiting on that beer... The sticking throttle is because the return spring isn't connected to the throttle wheel on the carb YET... Which is also why the idle is hanging, the play in the cables prevents the cable that closes the throttle from fully closing it. p.s. i drained your gas tank because mine was empty hahaha

For brighter news... I just started my 470sm for the first time after the full build. Warmed it up then rode 2 miles, trying the mototune breakin... About to change the oil wrap up the small leaks and try to get my battery to charge enough to start the bike without jumper cables. I can tell this thing is a monster just from the rolling of the throttle on break in.....

Eddie port work

+1mm valves

Rhc cams

Cylinder works bbk

+4mm stroker crank

fcr41 (with eddies spec's)

mrd/ssw

The sticking throttle is because the return spring isn't connected to the throttle wheel on the carb YET...

Why was it disconnected for a simple re-jet?

Just having the idle up a bit too high will cause a hanging idle issue with the BSR carb.

This post saved me from pulling my carb. Thanks ptgarcia (and Eddie from another post). I couldn't stop my hanging idle, tried just about everything short of pulling the carb for a cleaning. The only way to stop the hang was to keep the bike in gear while slowing to a stop. When at a slow idle it didn't sound abnormal or fast, and adjusting the idle knob down didn't make a huge difference in sound, but it fixed the hanging idle. :bonk:

Thanks again, Mike -