Sign in to follow this  

2000 YZ 125 need help

Ok I took almost my hole bike apart to clean everything and check everything for the new season. I am already going to redo my fork seals and both wheel bearings because there bad. My linkage bearings are sort off loose. At the very back it moves up and down about a half a centimeter (5 mm) or .2 inches. I can buy the new linkage kit for about 100 bucks and that comes with the lower shock bearing but i am on a sortof tight budjet and am looking at getting new equipment so that would get rid of the new equipment idea. I am not a very hard rider but go to the local track every now and then. Does it actually do enough harm to handling to even worry about it?

I was looking at my bike and i saw a difference in the shine on the lower fork tube. I ran my hand over it a few times and either it is a very very small ding or ripple in the tube. It is about half way down and i dont think im leaking. I have a hard time pushing it that far on my own as well. i just want your oppinion on what to do.

Thanks Dylan

Edited by dylan9302
needed to add something else.

If you want to save money, then only replace what's broken.

Take off the shock, take out the swing arm and remove the linkage, check all the bearings. If they are broken or the races are gouged then you should replace them. If they are rusted but can be cleaned up, you can re-use them. Suspension bearings don't need to have the same strict tolerances as a bearing in an engine that has alot more load and spins constantly.

The best situation is to replace them but it costs money that you may not want to spend.

You could get away with just doing the seals and leaving the bushings, but if they are worn in the forks then the seals will be out soon enough again.

Bushings lose bits of teflon, it flakes off from the friction of the moving fork, if it flakes it should be replaced. I have found that inner bushings hold up much better than outer, so again only replace what you need to replace.

Ok so do the linkage bearings actually effect the handling of my bike. If they do i will replace them and which company is better all balls or pivot works. I have already checked them and there pretty worn and all the needle bearings fell out.

As for the fork tubes is the little ding or ripple anything to worry about. The forks as i can tell dont have any problem sliding up and down. And the seals dont leak. They will leave a little oil film over them but no dripping.