Sign in to follow this  

Why does my bike do this?

When its hot, it starts easily, idles nice, accelerates perfectly with no bog!

When its stone cold its very hard to start and will barely or won't idle without significant throttle input. Jets are new, carb is spotless and the valves are good...don't know what else to do?

Year: 2005 w/stage 1 hot cam

Elevation: 0-1200'

Temperature Range: 50 to 90

Smog (AIS): n/a

Airbox Modified Top: yes

Airbox Modified Sides: yes

Backfire Screen: removed

Air Filter: Twin air

Pilot Jet: 45 brand new

Main Jet: 160 brand new

Needle: JD red

Needle Clip Position: 5

Fuel Screw Type: r&d

Fuel Screw Setting: 1.75

AP Modified: large o-ring

Leak Jet: stock

AP Cover: stock

Exhaust Type: stock

Exhaust Modified: drilled

Pink Wire Modified: yes

back your fuel screw out a little better than 1/4 turn and see if it helps:ride:

First make sure you don't have any air leaks at the carb intake boot or hot start valve. You can do this by spraying carb cleaner around them when the bike is idling. If the idle picks up speed it means a leak is pulling in the cleaner. Your .45 pilot should be right. Open the fuel screw to two turns max. If you need to go any farther it means your jetting is still to lean.

Whats your starting routine? If you haven't tried it....try this when cold:

Open petcock and pull on choke. Then hit the starter to turn the engine over a couple times and assure that fuel in the carb circuits. Then, cease pushing the starter and give the throttle 3 full turns to squirt fuel into the intake. Don't touch the throttle any more and hit the starter. Should fire up and idle...probably rough idle until warms.

Report back after trying this and the other ideas.

Open petcock and pull on choke. Then hit the starter to turn the engine over a couple times and assure that fuel in the carb circuits. Then, cease pushing the starter and give the throttle 3 full turns to squirt fuel into the intake. Don't touch the throttle any more and hit the starter. Should fire up and idle...probably rough idle until warms.

Ok, so how long do I keep the choke on? It won't stay running without the choke on until its warmed up.

Thanks

like kalvin said let the thing warm up about a minute with the choke on should get the bike warmed up. Remember these bikes are not like the old two strokes that you had to mad sure were up to temp before riding. I typically start my bike let it run for 10-20 seconds shut it off gear up and then start it and start riding. They really don't need a lot of time to warm up. Now I take it east for the first minute of riding but then after that it's good to go.

Did you check for leaks around the carb? Verify the hot start is seated properly?

like kalvin said let the thing warm up about a minute with the choke on should get the bike warmed up. Remember these bikes are not like the old two strokes that you had to mad sure were up to temp before riding. I typically start my bike let it run for 10-20 seconds shut it off gear up and then start it and start riding. They really don't need a lot of time to warm up. Now I take it east for the first minute of riding but then after that it's good to go.

Did you check for leaks around the carb? Verify the hot start is seated properly?

Yes checked for leaks. Hot start is seated without a doubt.

Thanks

dmac1 - this worked like a charm! Kept the choke on til the left rad was warm about 45 secs, pushed the choke off and it kept running. Can't believe something so simple worked exactly as you said.

Thanks so much!

Rob

choke on until the left radiator is warm

Thanks Kalvin22

I keep my bike at a friends house (lack of a place to put it) and our first ride of the year I got to his house 7 am and he said there is a problem, He just about killed the battery trying to start it and I did exactly as dmac1 said (read this in another thread some place too) and hit the button and it started instantly, He stood there just looking at me asking "How'd you do that???" LOL

dmac1 - this worked like a charm! Kept the choke on til the left rad was warm about 45 secs, pushed the choke off and it kept running. Can't believe something so simple worked exactly as you said.

Thanks so much!

Rob

You're welcome! Glad it worked. I too learned it on TT!! 👍