Sign in to follow this  

what can i get out of it?

hi, i have a 2003 Honda crf-230. what is it worth?

the kbb retail value is $1,730 .... but i have $2,000 into it.

i am thinking about selling it

i put all this into it

valves

rings

handle bars

grips

leavers

Front tire is new ... back is 85%

gd chain and sprockets

new seat cover

new back fender

new side plates (before i put it up for sale i will take graphics off)

wheel bearings (front and back)

forks rebuild

new fork boots

new rear shock

gd brakes

tusk fender pack

renthal bar pad

new throttle cables

Handel bar camera mount

extra plug

new front tire tube

new shock linkage bearings and bushings

Jan102010266.jpg

Jan102010285.jpg

thank you, dan

A lot of what you put into it are considered normal consumable items, and do not increase the resale value.

Your bike is nice, no doubt, but getting your money back on the improvements is impossible.

Say the bike is worth $1730. Without a rear fender, it may only be worth $1600. But with it, even if new, it only brings it back to list price. And to be honest with you, some people shy away from bikes that have had all of the plastic newly installed. They may think it means the bike was beat badly, and the engine could be going sour.

A lot of what you put into it are considered normal consumable items, and do not increase the resale value.

Your bike is nice, no doubt, but getting your money back on the improvements is impossible.

Say the bike is worth $1730. Without a rear fender, it may only be worth $1600. But with it, even if new, it only brings it back to list price. And to be honest with you, some people shy away from bikes that have had all of the plastic newly installed. They may think it means the bike was beat badly, and the engine could be going sour.

Ditto to everything Mike said.

I paid 1300 last year for one relatively low hours (same year) with a FMF pipe.

KBB or NADA is a dream price for a dealer to get when a buyer has no money, no credit, no market knowledge, and no patience. Dealers are selling bikes for wholesale minus 30% now. A private seller will have a tough time getting within 20% of KBB.

Money spent on a bike is gone, not invested. You spend it because you want your bike a certain way. If you spend a million dollars on a $1200 bike, it's now worth $1199. A stock bike has the highest value.

And, if you wear out a bike or break it, the fact that you spent money to repair it doesn't increase the value. A new engine is a sign that you abused or wore out the old engine, not a positive sign.I want to buy a bike that is still on it's first engine!