Sign in to follow this  

Wanna chop my silencer.. But a little nervous to

I have a 2005 YZ250 and I have a Turbinecore 2 exhaust on it. I really like the look of the shorty pipes but I don't have $100 bucks to spend right now, and I hate how my silencer sticks out past my number plates. Has anyone ever chopped a silencer other than the stock one? I want the look of the shorty but I don't want to end up hurting the bike's performace somehow.

Thought there was a guy on here who said that it did hurt performance when he cut his.. Going to have to look for the thread.

Another guy said that it was just louder but that was it.

The moral of the story was that cutting it didn't do squat but make it louder. Apparently FMF and Pro-Circuit have something other than just a short silencer to give a little bit better top end.

Yeah I saw a few where guys chopped their stock silencers. I just don't know about mine because it has the spark arrestor and whatnot.

I've got a couple of FMF shortys in the garage if you want to trade one for your TCII.

• Like 1

Honestly I'd give it a go and see for yourself.

Regardless of what people are saying I want to try it myself anyways and see how well it works, if it works ;d

Getting a straight cut might be a bit hard with a hacksaw, if I was going to do it I would want it cut perfectly but that's just me.

Drilling the holes and putting in rivets for the end cap is the easy part.

Think Harley. Loud and proud. 👍

What about us without noise restrictions??? HMMMMMMM?

🤣

Besides it hasn't been proven or disproven that it adds top end performance.

I've got a couple of FMF shortys in the garage if you want to trade one for your TCII.

Well that would be a lot easier than chopping mine.. 👍

What about us without noise restrictions??? HMMMMMMM?

🤣

Besides it hasn't been proven or disproven that it adds top end performance.

I dunno 'bout no ghetto shorty but the PC R304 stainless shorty absolutely boosted the lower mid range into something violent. It hit hard and wheelied endlessly with minimal effort. Very fun for a while anyway. Something tells me that engineering yields a better result than a hacksaw.

When I said Harley I meant that their performance is immaterial since they're so heavy anyway. They add noise and zero performance akin to the ghetto shorty. 👍