Sign in to follow this  

Top end first timer questions

Just about to start re-assembly on my 98 CR250 topend and I have a few questions. Everything came apart nice and easy and the cylinder cleaned up nicely with WD40 and a maroon scotchbrite. I also cleaned the power valve so it operates smoothly now. The skirt on what I assume is the stock piston is cracked in 3 places, so I'm glad I chose to the top end now!

The connecting rod to crankshaft side clearance is also with the specs of the Haynes manual, however I'm going to check it in a few other positions of rotation just to be sure. Now for the quetions:

What type of lube, if any, should be used on the powervalve linkage?

I'm using a Wiseco piston and the ring end gap measures .011. Wiseco call for .010 and the manual calls for .016-.022. I'm thinking .015 or so?

When installing the piston circlips, I want the opening of the circlip at either 6 or 12 o'clock?

Thanks guys and I wish that working on my Grand Cherokee was as easy as this! 👍

For the linkage use a 50/50 mix of molybdenum grease and engine oil.

Since your using a wiseco piston use there recommendation for ring end gap. Your .011 gap is just fine. the .016-.022 is for honda rings. Wiseco pistons like a nice long warm up. If you run it hard before its warmed up you risk a cold seizure. Also make sure the arrow on the top of the piston points towards the exhaust side of the cylinder.

You can install the circlip anyway you want as long as the open end doesnt align with the cut out in the piston. I align mine 180* apart.