Sign in to follow this  

XR250 resurrection

So after owning a few XR's (85 XR200, 85 XR100, 04 XR250, 92 XR100, 97 XR80) I was in the market for a project. I found one.

1990 XR250

<Insert crappy phone picture here>

IMG00094.jpg

It's pretty much all original, stock bars and I think original tires. Story goes as follows:

Original owner crashed it at Thunder Valley and it sat pinned until it died. They believed that it cooked the top end. Owner #2 buys it with the intent of fixing and flipping. He's not a mechanic, but sent it off to a mechanic who quoted $2000 some odd dollars to repair. It sat for winter, and then he decided it was taking up too much space in his garage. I gave a few hundred for it, and I think I am going to go through it with a fine tooth comb and make a really reliable XR for a backup bike. After rebuilding SMV's XR4 I've got the bug again to get my hands dirty and think I'll post pics of the progress.

Watching.... I just picked up an 87 that I'm working on for the same reasons. Needs a new top end for sure plus lots of love. good luck with it

I did the same thing to a 84 XL250, it fell on throttle side, did doughnuts till it quit. It cooked a main bearing, knocked terribly. It went up the creek bed and over while I went back into the creek, LOL.. I doubt it cooked the top, most likely the bottom end. Just my two cents, look forward to the rebuild, please post pics, Jim 👍