Sign in to follow this  

THinking about getting a reusable oil filter

Any thoughts or experience with one would be appreciated. It just seems more affordable with less waste but i dont want to sacrifice protection in the process. Thanks

How much do they cost? The OEM filters are about $4 I think and I think the metal ones are much more. 8 to 10 times the price?

they are worth it in my opinion i have one and it is really easy to not have to go and buy a new one every time

washing air filters sucks as it is. there is no way i am washing a oil filter. 👍

haha no it doesnt. it takes me longer to line up that damn crf air filter screw into the threads than it does to remove seat and wash + oil the filter up!

the oil filter rarely needs to be washed (compared to A/F) and takes literally 2-4 mins.

SS oil filters for me all the way.

washing air filters sucks as it is. there is no way i am washing a oil filter. 👍

Do you like spending time to go to a shop to buy air filter every time you ride? I don't, so I wash and re-oil them. I clean the oil filter every other oil change. Cleaning the Scotts is a heck of a lot easier than cleaning FFT off a Twin Air, I can tell you that.

I don't currently run a SS filter, but I plan too...

Why? I have 6 hours on my bike, I got it home, broke it in at the track, changed the oil (filter #1), rode a weekend, found out there is a secondary screen on my bike, not deep in the case, drained the oil and figured, heck another filter at $10cdn won't hurt either (filter #2) Sure it was my choice.

Rode all the following weekend, heavy wet muddy trail riding, found some potential water in the oil, drained, new filter (#3) and oil, warmed up bike, and drained again to be on the safe side, added oil and changed filter (#4).

Now, should I ride this weekend and again, have really wet condtions to ride in, serious single track through the mountains through mud and creeks and find some potential water in the oil, there is another 2 filters because I won't do a single drain and fill when dealing with water.

Right there I paid for a SS filter, twice.

All depends on what and how you ride, and how much and particular you are about maintaing your bike. A SS filter makes perfect sense for me, sure a paper filter works great, thats what came in your bike! I don't believe a SS filter allows and harmful debris through any more than a paper one does, and if it did, could you even see something that is 20-30 microns harming your motor? A micron particle is a thousandth of a millimetre, pretty small.

You will get lots of people who dislike them, and lots who like them, just like you get people who run dino oil and those who run syn. Biggest issue I have with paper is, when its wet, oil or water, it eventually breaks down, if you don't change your filter as often as you should, your not helping.