Sign in to follow this  

Oil Drain Plug Stripped

any idea on how to fix the oil drain plug as its is now pretty much stripped. I can put the bolt in but I can't tighten it. The bolt is ok, all threads are good but the hole on the casing is stripped. Short of putting in a heli coil or time sert, any quick temp fixes, as I mentioned the bolt will go in and it leaks a5-10 drops over night.

There aren't many ways to fix a stripped hole. You can drill and tap one over (slightly larger bolt than stock obviously). You can heli or timesert. If you are not worried about the bolt falling out while riding...and I would be with stripped threads...you can use teflon tape to prevent the drip.

Buy a torque wrench. Hand thread the bolts as much as you can before applying leverage to make sure it's not cross threaded.

My honda dealership fixed a stripped hole for one of the bolts for my oil filter cover for $40. I can't even remember what they did... My point is, if all else fails, bring it to a dealer; it wouldn't be the first time they've seen a stripped engine case.

edit: they did a time-sert