Sign in to follow this  

Spring Swap w/no Loss of Oil

Is it possible to swap out fork springs in a dual chamber fork (KYB on a Yamaha) without having to drain or lose any of the fork oil? I have a brand new 2010 YZ450F that I'd like to install stiffer spring in. I have all the tools to do it but don't want to have to throw away all the oil just for the swap (if I don't have to).

Any help would be appreciated!

David

Anything is possible.I just dont see how its possible to not lose any without doing it in a ridiculous way.I mean there is always going to be some left on the springs and when you drain the oil out of the fork your going to loose some.You HAVE to drain the fork oil to change the springs.

Why not just spend the $10 on 1 bottle of fork oil?If your only swapping springs you dont even need a full bottle.

Is it possible to swap out fork springs in a dual chamber fork (KYB on a Yamaha) without having to drain or lose any of the fork oil? I have a brand new 2010 YZ450F that I'd like to install stiffer spring in. I have all the tools to do it but don't want to have to throw away all the oil just for the swap (if I don't have to).

Any help would be appreciated!

David

If the bike is brand new and the oil is fresh, clean the bottom of the leg (around the rebound tap) really, really well and catch as much oil as you can when you open it up. Filter it back into a clean container through a coarse coffee filter and add what extra you need. The cartridge oil remains in place so you only have the outer chamber volume to worry about.