Sign in to follow this  

Bottom end is piled.. :(

Took my 2000 YZ250 out for its first ride this year. Warmed it up for a good 10 minutes idling, idled out of the yard didn't open it up till about 5 minutes after that and the bottom end to pile up. I have the cylinder off and i am now waiting for parts and tools to complete my bottom end. I run 175 main jet not sure what my pilot is. When idling COLD it shoots blue but never when riding. It was about +3 Celcius out. I run 40:1 on Lucas Oil. Normal Riding conditions here are low elevation and +15-25 Degrees Celcius. Wondering if i was just running lean and this is why i piled my bottom end. If i wanna get just a little richer should i run 32:1? By the way the bottom white part on the end of the spark plug was still white there was no discoloration.

Just looking for experience and suggestions on what may have caused the bottom end to pile. The bottom end is "supposevly" new coming from the last owner but he didn't show me any bills so who knows.

32:1 is leaner than 40:1.

If anything you were running rich, and the bottom end had it coming after 10 years of use.

40 parts gas to one part oil has more gas per volume than 32 parts gas one part oil.

Never ever take the previous owners word on anything until you check it yourself. When your friends are laughing at you for taking apart your bike when you first get it saying "if it aint broke, why in the hell are you fixing it" you can tell them at least you are checking to make sure nothing is going to blow.

What is "piled"? Main bearing seize? Lower rod bearing seize? Or did one of them come apart? Melted stuffers? Notchy feeling?

How much time have you put on the bike since you got it?

Could be too much time, too little oil, debris, maybe it sat with moisture settled in the lower end which caused some rust, etc etc etc. LOTS of variables here.

I posted this 2 months ago but it was the ignition side bearing. The oil seal was split and filled the whole ignition casing with oil. the old crank was fine and i reused it after showing it to blair morgans old mechanic i put it back in. runs awesome now. Also when i posted i did had not split the cases yet, i had the cylinder off but was just wondering why it happened and a little advice cause this was my first time.