Sign in to follow this  

Wr250 -te450

I've never ridden on dirt, being a street biker. I've never ridden a 2-stroke, either. 6" 200+lbs. I'm no racer.

Would you guys think I could develop/cope with WR250-300? Main playground will be 1-2days of enduro riding. There is also one 2008 left-over TE450 sitting on the dealer. Should I expect early running problems from her, except a couple rubbers? My original intend was to go with TE250, though.

any thoughts?

Hi ,

is there a good dealer network?,

the 250 is a nice bike , but you would be near it's limits quite quickly,

the 450 is a better option - still controllable due to your physical size,

a 2-stroke may be good too,

lower operating temp's may be a bonus in the summer heat , also cheaper / simpler to maintain. the 250 /300 is not a scary prospect as you are used to riding a motorcycle.

take note of essential "check items" before using any bike off-road though,

hope that helps,

Charlie

the TE250 is a great bike to start on, makes good power and will do everything you ask it to. Might be better than the much heavier feeling 450/510 or the very powerful WR250/300. Lots of power in the dirt is overrated IMHO.

Never been on a dirt bike?

I'd say you had better try a 250 2-stroke before go any farther with this idea ... And please wear a helmet, get it out of first gear as soon as possible, lean forward, and if possible, ride it on some dirt and not in a parking lot fill of cars ...

The 300 Huskies have more bottom end than the 250s and of course ... just more of everything else engine wise ... after 250cc, the bikes are called big-bores ... ain't that cool! 👍

The 450 4-stroke will feel alot more like UR street bike ... just be careful on the throttle ... It's gonna REV alot quicker and its power will be readily available ... But it can be tamed ... the 4t machines are easier to ride, heavier, and can cost alot more in maintenance cost if the engine goes belly up ...

Husky makes a 310 4t .... It is more than the 250 4t and not nearly as heavy as the 450s ...

U did not mention what street bike you have ... these ain't street bikes🤣 ... The cool part of dirt riding is no speed limits and there is always a race fixin' to happen !

PS -- The 08 450TE will probably need the EFI mapping changed but UR dealer should know all about that ... U can do a seach here on 08 TE250 450 and get some good info on these bikes ...

Edited by ray_ray