Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning inside of metal tank

Hi,

Need to clean out some gunk (Not rust) in an old metal Hodaka tank. Tried shaking some gas in it, didn't help. What can I used to help disolve the gunkly stuff?

Thanks

David

ok, i never post anything but,

i did this to an old ford bronco tank that had some bad issues.

(i was told this secret from an old OLD shade tree mech.)

use crushed ice and salt, put the ice in the tank add salt (quite a bit) and shake it till your arms hurt. (that did not take long with a 20 gallon tank). then rinse, over and over.

now i dont know if salt will have issues on a bike, but the tank had 3 fuel filters from there on.

but it worked for me. thought i would share.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, I was reading an old post and a guy said to spray a entire can of carb cleaner in the tank, let it sit for a while and then shake and rince with gas. Think i will try that 1st.

Thanks,

David

Thanks for the suggestions, I was reading an old post and a guy said to spray a entire can of carb cleaner in the tank, let it sit for a while and then shake and rince with gas. Think i will try that 1st.

Thanks,

David

You can purchase carb cleaner in non-aerosol form from Napa.

I have used Kreem, and it does work well.

Another trick I use is a variation on what captain catfish posted, I have done this on antique tractor fuel tanks (no replacements available). Fill the tank up about 1/4 with sand and pea gravel, 1/4 water, and bolt the tank to a tractor rim and go drive around for an hour or so.

When I take them off and flush them out, the interior of the tank is clean as a brand new one. I remove the fuel draw fitting and put a garden hose in the tank and walk away for a few hours....this usually flushed any foreign debris out. Blow out with air gun.

Poor man/redneck media blaster is what it really is.👍

As well as the other cleaning solutions mentioned above you could try inserting a small section of standard link chain (not motorcycle chain) to the inside of the tank. When the tank is shaken around the chain provides some physical abrasion to assist with removing stubborn build up and the chain can be easily removed once finished.