Sign in to follow this  

HECK YA the site is back!!!

It's true the vb is the most widely used. But, that's going to change IMHO. VB used to be owned by Jelsoft, a company in the business licensing good software.

The are now owned by Internet Brands, a company that operatrd 100s of forums. They buy popular, decently trafficked hobby sites, leverage them to the nth degree for advertising dollars and dropping a good chunk of members isn't too much of a concern. The have hundreds of sites, so they spread out the risk. vb is going to be developed for the needs of Internet Brands and less with what community admins and their sites want.

We're on vb 3.8.4, probably the last pretty good version, VB 4 is the latest, it's not getting good reviews and many of the bigger sites are not upgrading to it.

Software has a shelf life, and while you can bandaid it forever potentially, browers and other technologies will change, so sticking with vb 3XX for the long haul isn't really a viable option for any professionally operated sites.

Interesting...

Thanks for explaining it in detail. I completely sympathize with your position. I work in an industry that does not always accept change readily. We try to introduce newer better product at times to a flat reception. But our old stand-by's always sell well.

We do, however, have a lot of companies that have literally reverse engineered our product and now sell knockoffs that are manufactured in China and India for less money than our US manufactured product. Similar or sometimes lower performance, that do the job at a lower cost.

I'm surprised that there aren't bulletin programs that have the same look and feel as vBulletin all over the place, fooling people in to a sense of familiarity.

Perhaps someone should write a program that looks and works like vBulletin, but has the features that administrators are looking for without having to be held hostage to advertising and upgrades.

I am thankful for TT. I have been since the day I found it. I hope you guys will be around a while. It's a most fantastic resource in addition to being good entertainment!

Interesting...

Thanks for explaining it in detail. I completely sympathize with your position. I work in an industry that does not always accept change readily. We try to introduce newer better product at times to a flat reception. But our old stand-by's always sell well.

We do, however, have a lot of companies that have literally reverse engineered our product and now sell knockoffs that are manufactured in China and India for less money than our US manufactured product. Similar or sometimes lower performance, that do the job at a lower cost.

I'm surprised that there aren't bulletin programs that have the same look and feel as vBulletin all over the place, fooling people in to a sense of familiarity.

Perhaps someone should write a program that looks and works like vBulletin, but has the features that administrators are looking for without having to be held hostage to advertising and upgrades.

I am thankful for TT. I have been since the day I found it. I hope you guys will be around a while. It's a most fantastic resource in addition to being good entertainment!

There are... :lol: We didn't roll back without a plan. We're not going anywhere. :thumbsup:

I am glad to have this version back, at least I can read the posts when I click on them. The new version ran slower on my puter and it took forever to get around the forums, I never could figure out why but now I don't need to.

Thanks!

I'm glad it's back.

I'm not an old duffer and certainly know my way around a PC both inside & out - but the new format didn't feel intuitive like the old one did. I for one was not coming here as often because of the change, I guess a load of others were also find the experience less pleasing.:thumbsup:

Well done for realising and rolling back - cheers TT:thumbsup: