Sign in to follow this  

Finnally pics.of found 1982 XL500R

WOW!👍🤣 Thought I lost you guy's?Had to start over by reregistration:banghead:All should be good now? I hope.:banana:Heres some pics. I took Of the bike that I found . What do you think it's worth? Hope this works ?HondaXL500R002.jpgHondaXL500R003.jpgHondaXL500R004.jpgHondaXL500R005.jpgHondaXL500R003.jpgHondaXL500R001.jpg

Not too shabby! By the looks of it, it doesn't look in too bad of condition.

Observations from pics:

Definatly change the oil and sparky before starting it up. It looks like a good oil leak but probably from the valve covers(maybe)

New air filter(do this just because)

New chain needed and you should buy new sprokets with a new chain so they can wear together.

The forks will need to be redone. Most likely the rear shock too.

Good things:

Not too rusted out.

it's got the key!

Hopefully the headlight works.

Seat, plastic and cables look good from what I can tell....not dried out and cracked.

With a little TLC and elbow grease it'll be a winner!

My guess for price would be around 200 - 700 bucks???

You have to remember what he could get if he parted it out. Running or not.

Why is there no licence plate? That could be scary. Do you need one in Saskatch?

The thing that I checked to see is if it would turn over,it did not by hand.Would it seem to be locked up? I didn't check to see if it was in gear either.

If he couldn't be bothered to throw a tarp over it I doubt he'll be spending days wrenching to tear it down and part it out. 👍

Doesn't look like it's been out for "TOO" long.

Why do you want it? if it's to have a cheap bike (to BEGIN with) and learn to work on while getting parts slowly and putting it together, then cool.

If it's to have a cheap motorcycle, forget it. All the little pieces it needs will add up to many hundreds of dollars and you could have just bought a much newer (and much nicer) bike up front and have spared yourself many hours of labor and many, many hours of looking on line for parts and then paying endless shipping costs to get them.

Wouldn't be at all unusual to buy that bike for $300 and then need to put another $700 into it to fix all the stuff that needs fixed. And that's if the motor doesn't need work! I've got $700 in parts in rebuilding my motor! And that's stock stuff! 19,000 miles isn't insignificant miles for that old a bike. Exhaust looks gutted. Gonna be loud as is, could have damaged valves if no back pressure. A baffle at least is $40 or so. Fork boots, gotta figure some electrical gremlins. Tube, tires, chain, sprockets? Couple more hundred there. Suspension sucked when new, now??? 🤣

Title and inspecition costs??? That ends up a $1000 bike no matter what you pay for it. (I'd bet)

IF that's the case, just buy a 10 year NEWER bike for the $1000 and be done with it. (and riding now)

U CAN find a bike for $500 or so that will be running and in much better shape than that 1. Even if you got it for $100, bet you spend at LEAST $500 fixing it up.

i've got well over 3k putting my 350 back to better than new condition. Could have bought a REALLY clean XR400 for what I've got in my 25 year old bike. LOL (but I learned a lot and it's a very unique bike)

Edited by MindBlower

The way the exhaust looks you may want to put in a spark arrestor or quiet core. That thing will be LOUD.

Why on earth would you even consider such a neglected POS?

Guaranteed to need more money than it's worth.

Besides, the XL500 was never anything special:

- ran excessively hot even after proper jetting

- had horrendous under steer

- no adjustable fork damping / forks flexed alarmingly

- no adjustable shock damping/ swingarm was prone to cracking

- was way under powered for it's weight

The 83-87 XL600R was a much better motorcycle. Hell, even the 83-85 XL350R kicks it's ass.

The thing that I checked to see is if it would turn over,it did not by hand.Would it seem to be locked up? I didn't check to see if it was in gear either.

If it's siezed, you should just walk away!

These guys have some good points about that bike. I think it would be a fun project bike, maybe even a starter bike, but you will have to dump some good money into it. If you've never worked on a bike, this might be more than you can handle.

Thanks for your guy's advice , I just thought it would be a nice bike to save from the grave , & I have had bikes in the past , all YAMAHA"S & 1 SUZUKI (77'PE 250).Sounds like this old HONDA ant what it all cracked up to be?A nesting ground for spiders & rodents.👍

One of those in ready to ride condition tpically isn't going to cost more than a project that needs money and time put into it. May make a good spare parts bike for someone who already has a ridable one.

If you want a project, that one looks mostly complete. Of course the side covers are gone and will be hard to find in good condition unless they are available new(?). The little black, box shaped electrical conection cover under the right side of the headlight is missing, it would have "Honda" molded into it. Handlebars, just replace them with some steel bars like what it already has for $20. It still has the tool box and chain guard, those are a plus. Looks like a major bolt is either missing or broke off just above the front sprocket cover.

You can almost be certain the tank is rusted and although you could get a plastic aftermarket, the stock tank would keep the look and more value with the bike. By the time you get it in top shape, the money invested may be over the actual value, certainly more than the initial new cost in '82 👍, but that is irevelant if you just want that bike.

Wouldn't be advisable to purchase based on performance, but for someone just wanting to add it to their vintage collection or maybe get a start on one. I think that year 500 had dual counter balancers, so maybe they are smooth, I don't know. To compare, I had a '84 XL200R that was almost identical to that XL500R: Mono shock, drum brakes, open loop frame, 21"/18" aluminum rims, even the chain guard looks the same, check some pics of a '84 XL200R and you'll see how much the look the same. Anyway, that basic same bike with a 200cc engine was awfull off-road with that amount of limited power and less weight than the 500. The suspension was very limited and the brakes were just a sugestion. Cool bikes to put around town on, or in some parade, but I wouldn't abuse them off-road because of their vintage and the fact they abuse the rider if riden above a moderate pace. Decent for scenic only trail puts though.

At least it is a kick start. I can't say enough about how I personaly enjoy kick starting a vintage bike(because most of the new ones have a electric boot). I just put my XL600R back together a couple days ago and it puts a smile on my face every time I start it(of course riding it is fun too). Any bike is better than no bike, ride and have fun.

Hey I say go for it. If you think you have the knowledge to get it going, then do it. Yes a more modern bike is less work, yes they are easier and more powerful to ride. But most guys (me included) that ride big heavy old pigs don't care. Having a bike that you put your own blood sweat and tears into getting ready to ride is great. Not to mention that sometimes the extra work you have to put in to ride trails with something that big and heavy adds its own kind of fun. I just bought a 1982 Yamaha XT 550 that I paid $500 cause that's what I had to spend at the time. Its heavy, hard to find parts for and its great. I have ridden lots of modern dirt/dual sports and they are great to ride but so are the old girls. Just like on the street some days I would rather take my 77 KZ out and wrestle it through the corners then my 01 Bandit, just cause its more work and puts a big old smile on my face. So if that XL500 is what puts a smile on your face then DO IT. Who cares if people look at it and think its old and out of date. If your knees are in the breeze and your smiling that's all that matters.

Cheers

You must of looked at the pics. very closely.When I first found it, I wasn't to sure what size it was either (except for the key chain saying XL 500R)on it,& when I went back to take the pics ,& find the casting cu.in.# on the engine then I new it was a 500.👍

It would just be nice to see the ol' girl saved from fading away against that shed & make it like new again & have something to talk about, Sure It's not a newer bike & ya it's not the best ride in the world , but if you can make something from nothing & just :ride:That feeling you can't replace.

Make A long story short ,I finally caught the guy at home , got the bike for $100 bucks .Side panels & baffle are in the garage ,somewhere:excuseme:?

Now's the question ,where do I start?👍

Tried kicking it over ,it won't budge?

Because I understand the project you have taken on, I will offer you a suggestion for a starting point.

1. Don't let your enthusiasim cause you to make hasty mistakes. Know exactly what you are trying to achive and how to properly do it before you begin: Never atempt to turn over a stuck engine without the proper preperation, such as removing the spark plug and pouring some penitrating oil in the cylinder and letting it set overnight or several days to loosen the rings(if that is what it is). Forcing it will almost guarante a broken ring. Check the oil, is it full of water(which = rusted engine parts). If the engine is still seized, can you turn it backwards? If it turns backwards just a bit then seizes again, something is banged up inside, you'll have to open it up.

If you can get it running, mainly to see if it will run and what noises it makes or doesn't, most likely you will have to open it up anyway becasue just about every rubber seal and o-ring on something that old is in need of replacement, they will leak.

Luck has nothing to do with your project, so I won't wish it for you, but I donate you some knowledge.

Of course this project is pic mandatory:)

Took the plug out . Take a guess what was inside? Water! Yup H2O .Clean water .Turned it on it's side & about a cup came out ! Loosen off the oil bun just to see if there was water in there to .Nope .Just oil . What the hell is going on?Where did the water come from?Half A can of W-D40 & some 5W30 went down the hole ! I just can't believe it! It might be a $100 boat anchor!👍🤣

I guess the only way a guy's going to know about the damage is a tear down.

Welcome... to the $100 dollar HONDA school of learning:prof:

I guess the only way a guy's going to know about the damage is a tear down.

Welcome... to the $100 dollar HONDA school of learning:prof:

LoL, not like we didn't warn ya. 👍

LoL, not like we didn't warn ya. 👍

Ya I know:worthy:.Just I never thought there'd be water in the dam thing .Ya... Ok, I know...a1... &... a... 2... &... 3...&a ROW ROW ROW your boat...