Sign in to follow this  

Finnaly Pics.of Found 1982 XL500R

WOW!👍:smashpc:Thought I lost you guy's? had go through the hole reregistration thing again:banghead:I think all is good now?:banana:Heres some pics. of the bike that I found .What do you think It 's worth ? & how much should I ask for it ? Hope this works?HondaXL500R002.jpgHondaXL500R003.jpgHondaXL500R001.jpgHondaXL500R004.jpgHondaXL500R005.jpg

Obviously the bike has not been used in a long time and you may wind up with repairs due to neglect. That could run the gamut of a top end rebuild, wiring harness damage, etc. Does it kick over freely? Offer them $400.00 with the explanation that it was left outdoors and will need repairs due to neglect. The worse they could say is no. You don;'t want to overpay and make major repairs.

Non runners don't go for a whole lot. I agree with the $400 knowing that you may have to invest at least that much and possibly more to get it road ready. One thing to think of is that bike has 19,000 miles, how was it treated? Why was it abandoned on the side of a house? Keep us posted!

19,000 miles is a lot for these motors. If it runs it "might" be worth $400. picssidewalk085.jpg

I paid $300 for this one But I put A LOT of work to restore it. It ran ok and ALL of the parts were there. It had 4,400 miles on it and the piston was toasted.

I tried turning it over by hand, but would not move.I didn't check to see if it was in gear come to think of it?👍 But even in gear, wouldn't it try to move the bike?

If it is locked up whats the main reason on these engines?,or is it have to do something with the kick start shaft & gears?

By the way ,nice bike there seehogs:thumbsup:

I'd break it for parts ... probably worth more that way. I'll certainly buy some from you 👍

Cheers

Ads

I'd break it for parts ... probably worth more that way. I'll certainly buy some from you🤣

Cheers

Ads

that's the money move here. 👍

Could be crank but most likely seized/broken cam. Parts are not worth what they were even a year ago! I had one in 1985 and wanted that thumper feeling again.

Offer him a 12 pack. I got an old 64 VW that way a few yrs back.

Well , I guess this bike maybe ready to hit the ol' bone yard for parts.I thought it would be nice to save the old dog & restore it ? But it seems like everybody is trying to save me the headache,& I thank you for that:thumbsup:

Quinn,

I wouldn't say it was cut and dried to be a money pit. If it turns over and doens't need rebuilt, and you are ok with the faded parts, you could very well have a nice ratty bike to play around on cheap. And an XL/XR can run for decades despite looking pretty ratty.

We're just trying to point out the potential downfalls. The parts add up quickly, and even if you find cheap parts individually on Ebay and such, the shipping adds up to not saving as much as it looked at first.

For a lot of guys that enjoy restoring old bikes, that looks "pretty good" for having been sitting outside.

Quinn - honestly, if you do decide to break please drop me a PM (if you want to sell privately, that is) as I'm in need of some parts.

Thanks

Ads

I think today I'm going over to see the bike again,if the person that owns it is home or not & check to see if it will crank over:goofy:.This guy is never home to ask about the bike, I've only seen vehicles parked in the yard once in the past 6 weeks:rant:!

I stopped over at the house yesterday morning where the bike is sitting & tried kicking it over again ,nothing,it moves in neutral back & forth.Locked up or seized?

On my way back from the city I drove by the bike again,& holycrap the guy was home,cutting his foot long grass.:shocked:Now was the time,either I ask him if the bike is for sale or not.Drove around the block & pulled in the drive.Friendly kind of guy,introduced myself & asked him if he was interested in getting rid of the bike & he said, "sure"."how much " I asked & he replied "oh I don't know , how about a couple hundred?" I did tell him I was over there before & looked at the bike ,he didn't mind at all that I did that.

Told him" it doesn't kick over though"? All he new was that it was running when it was parked:thinking:"the kids mostly drove it, I only drove it a couple of times ,to much power for me.The side panels should be in the garage , with the baffle from the muffler",he said .OK hows about $100 bucks sound ? The deal was made.🤣

Now's the question ,where do I start?👍

You did good!

I've personally never had to free up a piston, maybe do a search.

if you just want to try and free it up to desamble start with some two cycle oil thinned down with diesel or kerosene pore it in the spark plug hole let it set for a couple days after the first day pop the bike in gear rock it back and forth a little not alot just enogh to try and turn the motor do this for about a week it should free up if its not real bad ive done it befor but if you try to start it after it does break loose you will most likely junk the piston and cylinder after its brooke free its best to just tear it apart and maybe youll be luck and just a hone job and new piston will fixer up

HOLY F@#*'N S*@# BATMAN!!!! 👍 You will never in your wildest dreams guess what I found when I took out the spark plug . Did you take a guess? No not oil .Man O Man it was H2O , ya that's right frig'n water ! What in the hell is going on?!Water...? I've never seen anything like this ,only in a sunk outboard! A whole cup full drained out maybe more when I laid it down on it's side! What in the hell ? Where did it come from? She ain't no liquid cooled , that's for sure .

I ran back home got some W-D40 & squirted half the can & couple of spoons full of 5W30 put the plug back in .Loosened off the oil bun just to see if there is water coming out of there to .Nope, just oil .

Is this thing a $100 boat anchor ?! I'm guessing the worst !

Although the water was clean enuff to drink🤣