Sign in to follow this  

Idaho Idaho City 100 Saturday finishers, kudos

Was it raining/snowing or something?

it rained all night wednesday night, and then again all day friday, and saturated the ground pretty completely. There was greasy mud, mud bogs, deep mud ruts, and of course choppy mud and mud whoops (no idaho city course would be complete without chop).

• Like 1

By the time I went through -- even the dirt roads between muddy trail sections were rutted and muddy. Making up time was treacherous.

I'm glad I finished -- even got a Silver. I'll take it.

I'm so sore it hurts to type this.

Wow. i rode it one year several years ago when it was slick (but nor real muddy) on sat and it was real slick. I would imagine lots of rain would make that real hard. Good job. 👍 to those that finished. Need to call buddy Scott and see how he did.

Need to call buddy Scott and see how he did.

ask scott if he knows how sheets did as well 👍

By the time I went through -- even the dirt roads between muddy trail sections were rutted and muddy. Making up time was treacherous.

it was like that early on too. I was surprised how little the trail changed between saturday and sunday. Apparently the crazy stuff got crazy quickly, and then just stayed that way. FWIW, everyone around me agreed that sunday was considerably easier than saturday. 👍

preliminary results are posted, btw.

http://www.moto-tally.com/BRR/Results.aspx

What happeded to Chilly ?

waterpump seal let go saturday. He rode again on sunday and looked reasonably fast, but matt stavish made our whole class look pretty pedestrian.

FWIW, everyone around me agreed that sunday was considerably easier than saturday. 👍

I ran into Todd on the way out of town and that's what he said. Frankly, I can't imagine me not houring out on Saturday. It was all I could do to get to the finish on Sunday.

I tip my hat to you guys. That was one long ride.

I went out on Sunday expecting the worst. In our camp of 10 guys 8 DNF'd Saturday. There were many tales told of horror and mud and roots and ruts. At the start on Sunday I was wondering if I had made a big mistake and if I would regret entering. However they either re-routed a ton of the course or all the traffic on Saturday eventually just packed everything down because it wasn't that bad. Section 3 was the hardest one imo with lots of mud and ruts and slick stuff, but the rest of it was quite fun and not in that bad of condition at all (I mean don't get me wrong, it was torn up, but I was expecting hell and only saw purgatory, most of the time. Section 3 was definitely hell though).

I managed to finish on Sunday with only missing 36 minutes (by my clock...I can't figure out how to read the official results...), 34 of which occurred in section 3.

Was awesome race, glad I did Sunday instead of Saturday! I'll have a full ride report with pics up by the end of the week hopefully.

oh yeah, and I got a lot of video footage as well, so when I get my new computer in July I'll be making a video of the race. 👍

However they either re-routed a ton of the course or all the traffic on Saturday eventually just packed everything down because it wasn't that bad.

They took out a section at the start and a section at the finish that would have been ugly steep switchbacked mud climbs (we came down them on saturday) and probably would have been pretty nasty.

They also took out about an hour worth of trail that would have been right after the grasstrack, and was where I lost the most time on saturday. it was just almost too slick to steer, or maybe I just forgot how to ride for a while, lol.

They also marked some reroutes around some of the worst mudbogs.

They left in 2 pretty difficult special tests with some very slick roots and uphill log crossings and mudbogs and crazy deep ruts, etc....

Sunday morning's impound had about 100 bikes left after the last rider departed. I had some friends race, two of them buddied up, and they DNF'd cuz the stronger of the two just imploded after hours of lifting the much-weaker friend's bike out of the mud.

Another friend is an international competitor and champion in another sport (I won't say which cuz it could start some unfair comments). Super crazy good shape and mentally tough in his respective sport. It was his first motorcycle race, and he was very objective and open minded to the pain awaiting. He rode B schedule. Almost houred out on the easier Sunday. Said it was quite possibly the most fun he's ever had.

Even the seasoned Idaho City racer said it's the hardest event since the 1998 running.

I had some friends race, two of them buddied up, and they DNF'd cuz the stronger of the two just imploded after hours of lifting the much-weaker friend's bike out of the mud.

The key was making good decisions and avoiding getting stuck. I only had to wrestle with my bike once all weekend (due to a poor decision) and it cost me 2-3 minutes and really wore me out for a while. Doesn't matter how fit you are, if you have to fight with your bike more than a little bit in those conditions, you'll suffer.

ask scott if he knows how sheets did as well 👍

Scott blew his bike up (YZ250) at about 95 miles the first day. Dave was 10 seconds off first on his class.

They took out a section at the start and a section at the finish that would have been ugly steep switchbacked mud climbs (we came down them on saturday) and probably would have been pretty nasty.

They also took out about an hour worth of trail that would have been right after the grasstrack, and was where I lost the most time on saturday. it was just almost too slick to steer, or maybe I just forgot how to ride for a while, lol.

They also marked some reroutes around some of the worst mudbogs.

They left in 2 pretty difficult special tests with some very slick roots and uphill log crossings and mudbogs and crazy deep ruts, etc....

That's cool. Too slick to steer - oh man, so many times I'd turn the wheel expecting to turn but the bike just kept going straight! Such a weird sensation!

On top of that, all the roots and fallen logs that were at an angle on the trail - it was like playing Russian Roulette - you never knew if you were going to get pitched off the bike cause of those evil things!

I'm glad they took out some of the nastiest stuff - not only to make it so more of us could finish on Sunday, but it was killing me seeing a lot of the work they were going to have to do to repair some of the bad areas. I didn't like contributing to that since they had already put so much work into such an awesome event already. The Boise Ridge Riders are truly a class act!

Mark , I was sitting at the end of the grass track on Sunday . I don't know why I thought you were # 27 but I must have watched you fly by and not even recognized you. If I read the results correctly , it appears that you zero'd your minutes both days...great job !

I was pretty happy to be sitting on the sidelines swilling beer this year........lol

Nathanael, You western WA guys must have thought this was just an average day of riding. maybe a little dry huh..lol

Mark , I was sitting at the end of the grass track on Sunday . I don't know why I thought you were # 27 but I must have watched you fly by and not even recognized you. If I read the results correctly , it appears that you zero'd your minutes both days...great job !

I zero'd all except 3 checks. i took a few route points at the last 2 checks on saturday, and only at the main gas check on sunday. every other check on sunday i had between 6 and 20 mins.

Nathanael, You western WA guys must have thought this was just an average day of riding. maybe a little dry huh..lol

Yeah, I've run a couple ugly mud races in norcal, and the awful one in el centro earlier this year, and I've seen plenty of nasty pics from enduros back east. I think we get spoiled with great trail conditions most of the time. Really most of it wasn't all that bad, there was just an awful lot of it.