Sign in to follow this  

Perhpas adding a quad...

I have ridden dirt bikes my whole life. I have always enjoyed riding my dirt bike on dirt and sand. However, this last trip i took to the sand dunes, I realized that a quad may be more fun to do those really difficult tree shots. I was considering a Honda 250R quad or a Banshee as I do not want to pay high dollars for a newer four-stroke quad. I want something that is awesome in the sand, but is still rideable in the dirt. I would think Banshees would only be good for sand...is this the case? I am thinking pretty heavily about the obsolete Honda 250Rs...hmmm 👍

Both are decent choices.... the Banshee is relatively easy to build... but is mostly designed to go fast in a straight line haha.

The 250R is a decent choice. I would also look into the Suzuki LT250R Quadracer - I believe they came out before the 250R.... and revolutionized the sport quad. Not as popular as the 250R, but if you won't be racing MX with it, they are great.

Another choice is the Suzuki LT500 Quadzilla - that thing is a beast and really hauls.

Pick one of the older quads, only if you want to wrench more than you ride!

The Shee is a muscle car. All it is good for is going fast in a straight line. Fine if you only ride dunes, but it makes a terrible trail quad.

The R is a great machine with the perfect power/weight ratio, but they all will be showing their age. I don't know about where you live, but around here if you have an R you hang onto it forever....so it is rare to find one for sale.

Don't be afraid of the 4-strokes. There should be lots of them on the market at good prices. The 400 class (Honda 400EX and Suzuki Z400) are know for their reliability. They have adequate power for the dunes, but out on the trail they are the definition of perfection. The Raptor 700 is another trail quad choice.

There should be lots of 450's out there, and while they will require more maintenance than the 400 class, they will also be higher performers.