Sign in to follow this  

Wear your Chest Protector!

I have never thought I needed one, but a simple fall-over at medium speed sent me to the hospital and has changed my mind about their value. I fell over on a rocky uphill and broke 7 ribs and punctured a lung. I also broke my clavicle. As I sit here at home twiddling my thumbs and watching my boy ride circles around the house, I have lots of time to reflect. The big thing is that surely even the cheapest CP would have reduced my injuries greatly. I won't get back on for any serious riding without one!

When I wadded up in the desert years back I sent pictures of my cracked and broken chest protector to Fox along with a big thanks for surely decreasing the amount of injuries I ended up with.

People think I'm a good rider cuz I have the gear. Truth is I have the gear cuz I end up lying on the ground at least one every time out. Perfect example was today. I got tied up for the 1st time in some major deep whoops. Got pitched over the bars, did a summersalt landed on my back, slid down the side hill about 15' Result, a little embarrassment nothing else. I remember thinking when I hit the ground that I am glad I was wearing protection.

I always ride with it because I'm always riding on the edge of my ability. Not that I'm good but I get better by challenging myself and that means falls and spills.

I have yet to see a really good excuse to not wear a CP or any other gear for that matter. I have seen a few good reasons why you should. I wear as much as I can afford and more. CP, Knee and elbow protection. I took a slow speed spill crossing a road last week and broke my knee pad cap. If I hadn't had them on I know my knee would have been hurtin for certain. They are inexpensive and take the hit so your body doesn't have to. Wont go riding without my gear.. 90% of my crashes are slow speed step offs... but they have saved me every time. Heal up soon .............Oldskoo11

I wear a fox flight suit and it has been worth its weight in gold. Two days ago my neighbors son hit the top of my fence like it was a velcro wall, and bent the forks on his ktm 50. Well, luckily he was wearing the evs kids zip up body armor that we gave him when our son outgrew it. The only injury was a bite in the tounge. I used to not wear them, either, but have found they are quite worth it. Hope you heal quickly.

Oh man if im doing anything besides playin around in the yard i ride wiht only a Hard Shelled, foam lined chest protector. Story i always tell is as follows:

One time I was doing a fairly technical uphill, it was long and windy with switch backs.. Came across a spot where i beleve i tree was down int he trail and i was screwed so ended up slowed down on the side of the hill. I tried to get off the trail, and ended up on my back, bike on top of me. BUT as i was falling i landed right on another downed log with sharp thick stubs of branches. It hit square int he middle of my back on a broken branch. Since i had the hard plastic protector on I hid the sharp piece and slid off of it and it put a huge gash in my arm. If i woudnt have had that style protector on I woudl have been impaled as i was falling with the weight of the bike on top of me.

Just remember, you need to dress for the crash, not for the ride.

Talk to your local policemen. They will probably have used leftover Kevlar vests. You can buy new and have them fitted to your body like a glove for about 5 to 6 hundred or buy used for 50 to 100 hundred. After I broke my ribs wearing a regular chest protector I knew I needed to get more protection and there you have it, a bullet proof vest. Try one on and you will see how much better and more area they protect. I guarantee it will be the best protection you can buy and it fits under your jersey not that it matters but it's also cool!

Edited by kx450f63

All The Gear All The Time!! I'm recovering from a Memorial day weekend crash. Damn dog ran out if front of me!

Fortunately I was wearing all my gear, chest and shoulder protector, knee and elbow pads and of course a helmet. I was going about 20mph and the dog knocked the bike right out from under me. I flew over the bars and landed hard on my right side then scraped along on my back. With some help, I got my bike up and rode 15 very painful miles home. I ended up with a dislocated shoulder, bruised and cracked ribs and a nasty thigh bruise. The next day I was looking at my gear and noticed all the abrasions on them. My gear saved my skin and much more. Maybe it wasn't smart for me to ride home alone, but I was able to do it. Without my gear it would have been a long ambulance ride to the hospital. Do yourself a favor, buy gear and wear it, you never know what might happen on any given ride.

I learned the hard way after a couple of cracked ribs....now if I could just find some elbow pads that are comfortable!

gsa102

Man do I hear your pain !!

I have been riding for 35 years with very little protection. My thinking always revolved around the less gear I am wearing the more comfortable I am and the better I ride. Till.......

About 3 months ago I hit a rut at night doing about 70 mph, did an endover and hit the dirt full force on my chest. The first 30 seconds were the worst, those were the ones where I couldn't draw a breath and thought I was gonna die !

After that it was just a pain bath.

Long story short....... 9 days in hospital bruised and bleeding lung, 5 ribs broken in 9 different spots. What the doctors called a rare flayed chest. Thats where the ribs are snapped off the sternum and the spine and just float around in your chest cavity.

I'm back on my bike now, but still it hurts when I lay down at night.

I have my eyes set on a set of Zac Speed 3 exotic body armour, as soon as I rake up the coin. I do NOT want to have to go through all this pain again !!

yep ... we'll all 1 crash away from something bad ...

U been riding 35 years U ain't no spring chicken ... U'll probably have great pain 4 life on that one ...

I have a broke back, a broke leg , a collar bone that is snapped, a wrist that won't move and 2-3 other places that just hurt from crashes and just keep hurting

I'm 52 and doubt I'll be dirt riding in another 10 yrs ,... just too many pains ... Without glucosamine for the wrist pain, I could not ride for the pain ...

My rides are all about risk management .... these crashes are taking their toll...

Take care of UR self now because it all adds up ...

Thanks for the well-wishes. I am glad to see that I am not the only 40+ that still lives to ride. I actually got the wife to wash my bike - and not a scratch on it. It is killing me to watch the kids ride circles around the house. Every one around has been very supportive and I am thankful for that. I have always thought the man upstairs has been watching over me, and this convinces me even more.

Big +1 for protection... only got one body, take care of it. Armor's cheap insurance, and it can mean the difference bewteen a hospital trip and getting up & riding the rest of the day.

Hell, I don't think I'd be alive today if it weren't for things like spectrashield, kevlar, UHMW, cordura, and polycarbonates.

Talk to your local policemen. They will probably have used leftover Kevlar vests. You can buy new and have them fitted to your body like a glove for about 5 to 6 hundred or buy used for 50 to 100 hundred. After I broke my ribs wearing a regular chest protector I knew I needed to get more protection and there you have it, a bullet proof vest. Try one on and you will see how much better and more area they protect. I guarantee it will be the best protection you can buy and it fits under your jersey not that it matters but it's also cool!

Great advice if it's legal in your area, we in bc aren't allowed to passively protect ourselves with 'ballistic clothing' and trying to buy it would likely lead to awkward questions.

On topic...all the gear, all the time. Always. One ofmy riding buddys hot dirt pretty hard yesterday at the track and got a few red marks...except the huge gash and bruise on his shin where the knee/shinguards his old lady bought him last week should have been. Unfortunately, they were on the dash of his truck since he was 'just taking it easy.'

"just taking it easy". Ha ha, been there many years ago, back when my body would mend easier. All the gear all the time!

I don't even own a chest protector, but I just follow my kids around so I am safe. 👍

Is a normal chest protector or the body armor better for a casual rider?

I don't even own a chest protector, but I just follow my kids around so I am safe. 👍

Is a normal chest protector or the body armor better for a casual rider?

Casual rider or Pro, you still need to dress for the crash not the ride. If you are concerned about injury the body armor deff. will protect you better. Just because you say, "I just ride easy, I won't get hurt" doesn't mean you won't fall down at 10 mph and slide into the neighbors fence and break your arm.