Sign in to follow this  

Linkage side-to-side movement... & shavings?????

I noticed some "shavings" on the relay arm from touching the connecting rod (only on the left side). See the pic below... the area on top of the arrow touches the U-rod...

And if I tap the linkage with a mallet on either side, there is some slight movement - approx. 1/10 in

I rebuilt the whole swingarm and linkage not to long ago, thus the bearings should be fine.

I was wondering if that side-to-side movement is always there...?

Or the linkgage is just worn out, since there are no shims, etc. or a bend part/rod....

Any ideas?

06052010453copy.jpg

It's quite normal, the linkage was designed to have some stiff side to side movement. Mine does, my brothers does, and my buddies does.

When needle bearings are dry and full of dirt they tend to crack and break into smaller pieces. They are made of forged steel and they don't shave off like softer metals such as aluminum. Usually you can see peices of needle bearings (chunks) sticking out where they are not supposed to with things not lining up properly.

A picture of the shavings would be good, they are not from the bearings however.

sorry - shavings is not the right term - I meant the abrasion and wear on the relay arm, right where the gray arrow is... I never had that b4...

One end of the arm is free floating until the other is assembled. I dont remember which is which, but mine has play on one end.

The solid end needs to have the correct spacers/washers installed to keep it from rubbing.

If you go to this drawing, make sure piece 25 is in place. I think thats the one that isolates the back and forth movement.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=556190&manufacturer=6&category=3&year=2007&model=12914

...and #25 missing...or at least it is not visible.... (I used a pivotWorks rebuild kit)

I guess I have to buy the missing washers and new oil seals (looks like they have to come out to get these washers in there...).

I spent Saturday rebuilding my linkage with the Pivot Works kit, and it comes with four of the #25 washers. If you don't have the washers, you might have put them somewhere they don't belong. Double check for them, my kit came with six washers total, four that size. If you find them or the old ones, and your careful you might be able to get the oil seals out without damaging them.