Sign in to follow this  

Athena Big Bore v. C High Comp Piston??

I have 110 hours on my '06 RMZ 450 as the second owner - a new wiseco piston (stock size) was installed when I bought it by the original owner. This bike has been awesome and runs strong and still starts 1st kick hot or cold. Obviously with the engine time I am anticipating an engine rebuild and I am considering either a Pro-Circuit High Comp piston or the Athena Big Bore kit. I suppose I could also do a stock Wiseco piston as well. Any thoughts? I absolutely do not want to sacrifice reliability. Motosport is cutting some real deals on these kits but I have heard mixed things about the Athena kits. I run a Big Gun pipe and exhaust.

Big bore kits put too much stress on the stock bottom end such as crank and bearings without changing those too --- to a more heavy duty... I bet you will be sorry in the long run.

good luck!

I may be wrong but didnt the 06 motors have alot of crank bearing issues to begin with? might not be the best candidate for either of those mods. but again i could be misinformed...

I would put a 13.1 piston in it and mix half race gas with half pump gas to be safe. Should make more low to mid power.

You could run the Wiseco 13:1 as well. No need for race fuel. Runs great on pump 93 octane. Running high octane race fuel could do more harm than good if you don't need the octane.