Sign in to follow this  

carrying over my potential valve tapoing noises tread

OK, so picking up where I was with the old(new) format and thread. I had tapping..I thought valves..which it was not. Some suggested potentially the auto decomp. mechanism. I had checked the valves...had clearances half the spec, on the exhaust...at .1 mm( spec is .2 - .3).

Long story short, I reshimed all valves, got them in spec, removed the auto decompression mechanism from exhaust cam, and adjusted the TT MCCT.

I went for a ride yesterday, and there was still some tapping. It sounds like it is coming from lower end of motor.

Edie suggested to check out Primary nut, counter balancer nut, and locating pins. I had them asked if there were any write ups for these?

That is where that thread was at. Any further help appreciated.

Bumping this thread.

I rode again last night and heard a lot of ticking coming from the lower end of the motor..seems to be more from left side.

I did read the above link about the primary nut and still do intended to look into that asap. I have also read the threads about the stator bolt fixes.

From what I have read, and correct me if I missed it...but seems both of the things will end in motor failure, BUT, do not give the tapping sounds I am hearing.

If you did not follow my other thread, that got lost, I have already checked and reshimmed the valves, adjusted the TT MCCT, and removed the auto decompression mechanism.

Is there anything else, that someone has specifically dealt with, that would cause this odd tapping I am hearing, but was from something in bottom end of motor??

Also, due to doing many oil changes as a result of drowning the bike ore often than should...I have been running Shell Rotella T..which I have seen many people recommend..although not everyone. I like how cheap it is...especially when changing ever other ride. BUT, since I now avoid more puddles than I used to, I do not mind getting some better grade oil and paying a higher price for it. What is/are the brand(s) people like and also swear by??? ( no intent to create an oil debate thread...just reaching for straws with this lower motor tapping issue)

Thanks again for any input.