Sign in to follow this  

Cleaned out airbox assembly. Now bike runs like crap :(

***Bike in question is a 1994 DR350SE with Acerbis tank (dual petcocks), 3x3 airbox mod, JD jet kit, Kientech muffler mod***

The other night I removed the airbox assembly (all pieces up to the carb). I cleaned everything out, cleaned/oiled the filter, let everything dry & put it all together last night. I started the bike & all seemed to run fine.

This morning I head out to meet some riding buddies & not even 100 yards from my house the bike starts stuttering (kinda like a starving sensation?) if I give it anything over 1/4 throttle. If I stay on the throttle the stuttering persists but the engine doesn't actually die, it just loses 90% of its power. If I back off the throttle the bike springs back to life right away. I rechecked all the airbox assembly clamps & everything seems to be good (no misaligned pieces). I double checked the fuel hoses too -- again, no problem areas to see.

Thinking back to the other night, I had a tough time wiggling the airbox out, so I thought maybe I unplugged a hose somewhere by mistake. The only hose I see that maybe got unplugged is one that comes out of the lowest right side of the carb (looking at carb from muffler side). It simply vents to atmosphere but I have a feeling it is supposed to because I can't find where it might go anyway. There's another larger diameter hose that comes out of the center frame tube that also vents to atmosphere, & again I think this is where it's supposed to be.

Any ideas? I get about 1 Sunday off per month & I'm bummed I'm not on my bike *👍

One thing I forgot to mention is that during my last ride I dropped the bike during a creek crossing & the airbox took in some water. After emptying the air box the bike started & ran just great for the remainder of the day. That night I got home & took apart the airbox assembly & cleaned everything out, which brought me to here 👍

>It simply vents to atmosphere but I have a feeling it is supposed to because I can't find where it might go anyway

Are you talking about the hose that goes to the gas tank on vac operated petcocks.

plug those holes.

I think there's 3 holes on the carb, if you've got a cv that is anyways, on up top that is just for atmosphere, just hangs there, one that goes to the top of the bowl, for overflow when you tip it over, and 1 that goes to the gas tank to "turn on and off the gas" but it never works and it's garbage. plug that one up.

I recommend draining the bowl on your carb, there is a drain screw at the bottom, get some fresh fuel without water into the carb.

It kinda sounds like a vacuum leak, check the rubber intake manifold.

If you're certain that the air box is installed correctly, you have no vacuum leaks and there's absolutely no water in the fuel then I'd go straight for the carb.

Pull it off, disassemble it, and give it a thorough cleaning. Use Berrymans B12 carb cleaner.

If the engine ingested any water at all then change the oil and replace your spark plug too.

Good luck..... and let us know how you make out. 👍