Sign in to follow this  

Oil Changing Question

Hey guys, this may sound stupid but I am new to 4-strokes. Anyways, I just changed the oil on my 2008 250SXF. I changed it 3 hours ago, so I figured I wouldn't need to change the oil filter again today, but just change out the oil. Anyways, my question is...can I just drain out the old oil and put new oil in to the required amount without taking the oil filter out? Or do I have to take the oil filter out and fill the case even though I am not putting a new one in? Thanks again guys! I'm new to this and don't want to hurt my bike!

Man changing oil every 3hrs is waaaaay beyond excessive, I'd say if your changing that often then your safe with the current filter.

No need to pull the filter out. I dont change oil as often as most folks and my bikes have done fine for hundreds of hours, a full synthetic oil rarely breaks down to a point that you cant go may hours, unless your seeing stuff in your oil then I wouldnt sweat it replace but I like to change the filter every time.

I do oil changes about every five rides regardless of the length of the ride itself and I change the filter each time. I clean the screen myself and only replace about every 30 hours or so.

KTM wants you to do it more but they are also in the business of selling product, partners also.

Edited by obgod3

Alright thanks guys. Looks like I have some great news though! Either the engine casing or the drain bolt is stripped because I can't get it to come out or tighten up. It has a slow leak. Looks like it's going to the dealer tomorrow to get fixed. Maybe a time sert or Heli coil? This is a bummer!