Sign in to follow this  

99 cr250 sterring stem lower bearing removal question

i have a 99 cr250 and ned to replace the sterring head bearings but will not come off with a chisel and hammer and i dont have the money to buy a bearing puller. does anyone have any good suggestions. your help would be greatly appreciated.

Unless they are fused on, you can pop them free with a screw driver / pry bar after applying a little heat to the inner race. Since the chisel🤣 did not work, your best bet may be to just pay someone to pull it off. Better out a few bucks now then needing a new triple if you keep whacking on it. 👍

I just changed mine the other day.

You need heat. I used a hammer and screwdriver but that ripped apart the bearing pretty quickly. That's fine because you still have the inner piece to get a good wack on. Just get yourself a torch and heat it up good, then hit it with a hammer and big screwdriver.

i have a 99 cr250 and ned to replace the sterring head bearings but will not come off with a chisel and hammer and i dont have the money to buy a bearing puller. does anyone have any good suggestions. your help would be greatly appreciated.

You really need to "press" them off & on to avoid damaging the stem.

I have a 12ton press in my work shop, live off I-17 & T-bird. Work nights, so home during the day.

Your welcome to come over & we'll replace for you. E-mail me if you want to use it, as I do not always log on this site every day.

Phil61s@yahoo.com