Sign in to follow this  

Bike cuts out in "on," runs fine in "prime"

What could be causing this? Blocked internal tank fuel filters? When I have the selector in "on" it cuts out and runs like crap, but I flip it to "prime" and it runs fine. Vacuum hose is connected fine. Don't know what else it could be:excuseme:

Low on fuel? PRI is like RES. Possible a filter clog. Remove and clean the Petcock.

If you have just had the tank off you could have a line pinched or kinked. Try runninig it in on and open the gas tank cap. If it runs go looking for a pinched line. Mine did that after I had the tank off & thats what is was & how it acted.

Vacuum petcock failing.

Possible you could take it apart and fix it but I suspect its' days are numbered.

Yea, that's what I was scared of. I really doubt its the line. I'll take it off and inspect, but it hasn't been off in a really long time, probably since I put the new tank on. If I get a new petcock, is that something you can pick up on ebay, or is the petcock one of those things that you're better off buying new for the long run? And YES there is fuel in it...I'm not the best when it comes to these things...but give me a little credit!👍 I'll check out the filters in the tank though before I order a new one. Its worth it if it saves me 75 bucks i guess.

Just out of curiousity, has anybody cut those filters off, and ran an in-line filter? Just something that crossed my mind. Seems like it would be easier to clean and maintain.

The filters are not the issue. Either the diaphragm in the petcock is bad or the vacuum line is disconnected/blocked/kinked.

Inline filters have been discussed. Bottom line...with gravity only...they will impede your fuel flow and cause you jetting problems.