Sign in to follow this  

2008 Crf lacking engine braking?

My 2008 Crf250, while it does have engine braking, its very insignificant and I use the brakes a lot on downhill or off-camber corners.

This wasnt a big problem for me but when I rode other models the engine braking was far more powerful.

Anyone else with a 2008 Honda find this the same or different? If not what could it be thats causing this?

Its not really a problem just something i was pondering 👍

Cheers

A 250f doesn't have that much engine brake to begin with. you also may be down on comp.

When was the last piston/ring change? If you say never, there's your answer.

A 250f doesn't have that much engine brake to begin with. you also may be down on comp.

When was the last piston/ring change? If you say never, there's your answer.

I second this...

It's had about 1 hour since a new piston was put in. Being truthful the mechanc gave me my old piston back as it was near good as new And joked that it didn't need the piston done so that was a waste of money. Aw well better £200 than £2000.

It's had about 1 hour since a new piston was put in. Being truthful the mechanc gave me my old piston back as it was near good as new And joked that it didn't need the piston done so that was a waste of money. Aw well better £200 than £2000.

Was this a reputable mechanic? The reason I ask is because if he installed the rings where the gaps lign up, there goes your engine braking. But usually with them doing that, the power is low and the crankcase pressure is higher tending to blow oil out the top breather hose into the air box. Maybe the rings aren't seated yet which I would find hard to believe. Was the engine braking more pronounced before you had the new piston put in?

i second that your idle is set to high. start with the simple stuff.

my 08 idle gets set so it seems like it is ready to die while idling in order to feel any engine braking while riding.

Was this a reputable mechanic? The reason I ask is because if he installed the rings where the gaps lign up, there goes your engine braking. But usually with them doing that, the power is low and the crankcase pressure is higher tending to blow oil out the top breather hose into the air box. Maybe the rings aren't seated yet which I would find hard to believe. Was the engine braking more pronounced before you had the new piston put in?

Yes he would be the only one i would trust with the Engine and was the only one who was able to sort out the starting problems that are common in these bikes. Despite me sending the bike to two of the best garages, if not the only two big garages in the country (Motocross is small here, very few shops/mechanics)

Theres still some engine braking dont get me wrong and if anything i think im almost faster without it. I was just wondering if anyone with the same bike felt the same thing.

Could be the idle, I turned it up slightly to stop the bike stalling as easy if it was dropped in a stupid slow crash. Doesn't always work but gives me a chance to make a dive for the clutch 👍

Yes, it could very well be the idle. Sorry, I automatically assume that the common stuff was already covered. Sometimes knowing too much hinders better answers. I do a ton of auto work and before I check a fuse or a bulb, I start digging for the worse possible senario. Most of the time, it's the simple things that are overlooked.