Sign in to follow this  

2000 cr250r cylinder replacement

building a 2000 cr250r for woods use, and I need to replace the cylinder, there's a few years I can swap on, anyone know if any other year would be better to use?

smooth broad power is important for trail with very little track use, we have a fww and a gnarley pipe for it, and a throttle cam

building a 2000 cr250r for woods use, and I need to replace the cylinder, there's a few years I can swap on, anyone know if any other year would be better to use?

smooth broad power is important for trail with very little track use, we have a fww and a gnarley pipe for it, and a throttle cam

I believe 96-2001.

The newer the better obviously (porting / etc...) (Not sure how close the 2000 and 2001 porting is though...)

better usually means better for mx, not necessarily woods

The older CR's had really good low end. My 96 lugs all over the place, and I use the PC works pipe still.

I think 2000 and 2001 had pretty much the same engine, but the 01 has the Mikuni whereas the 00 had the Keihin.

I found something from eric gore

"the 1995, 96, and 99 cylinders are the best because of smaller exaust and intake ports. These cylinders have the best timing combination and the most sealing surface "

I found something from eric gore

"the 1995, 96, and 99 cylinders are the best because of smaller exaust and intake ports. These cylinders have the best timing combination and the most sealing surface "

Damn. and I just bought a new 2000 cylinder for my 2000 CR250R that I intend to set up as an eastern woods bike. 👍 Should have done a little more research - oh well, I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed any difference anyway (I'm not that good)

I have a 98 cr250. I replaced the cylinder with a new 98. If I were to replace again it would be the 99 cylinder. My bike has tons of bottom end for a two stroke and works great in the woods with revalved susp, fww, keihn airstriker carb. I have an FMF Q stealth spark arrester that i modded slightly to fit and it does give the bike even more bottom end and is quieter to boot. I run the gnarley pipe. I just rode a stock 09 ktm 300 xcw and would not trade even up for it.

I have always been told that the 98 cyl. was ported for low end power. I had to replace my cyl. about a month ago and went with the 98 (from 97). What a difference that made, I have got the FMF knarly pipe too. I mainly ride the woods also. The power band is very broad, and is don't hit all at once. It will lug down like never before, and still have the power to pull it up a hill in the tight stuff. It sounds like from your first post that this is what your looking for. I wouldn't hesitate to but a 98, beside they are the cheapest year to buy. If I remember correctly, it was under $350 from cheapcycleparts.com.

Wow!! That is a great deal. I was wrong, the 99 is the cheapest out of all the years.